KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - As a KJ Do You feel You get Paid Enough? - And other issues about Karaoke... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

As a KJ Do You feel You get Paid Enough? - And other issues about Karaoke...
1.Yes 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
1.Yes 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
2.No 29%  29%  [ 24 ]
2.No 29%  29%  [ 24 ]
3. Don't Care 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
3. Don't Care 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 82
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:50 am 
If the shoe fits, wear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:22 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Good for you Deb, it appears you have something they dont INTELLIGENCE, hope you are all well.

michelle  :p

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:46 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Wowsers Deb. Seems you made an enemy! Whooooo!

But, as a singer, I would never go to their shows, BECAUSE of the negativity in that posting!

Most people are the same, I suspect.

Chances are, they are just as awful to their customers when in a pinch... when Good, DECENT people in the same pinch would treat them accordingly... yes, feeling the pressure, but not snapping at them.

I would go after them via the Newspaper, though, and make them stop their negative harrassment ads, or else you can Sue!!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:04 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Mobile, Alabama (On the Central Gulf Coast 1-65 at I-10)
They have just this morning removed the bottom portion of the posting. I have always conducted myself professionally. I may disagree with someone without making a personal vendetta out of it. I am not jealous of someone is doing well. Every business has its ups and downs. I have been fortunate that the downs have been few. These people did not want my business so I do not refer customers to them as once I did. I wished them well when they did this in April and left never to return (that was 9 months ago). I haven't been to one of their shows in over a year and they have NEVER been to one of my shows.

ImageSTAR KARAOKE 's AOL HomepageImage

I NEVER tell people where to or not to karaoke, etc.  People do not like to be told how to conduct their lives, it is their choice whatever they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:30 pm 
Believe it or not, we were around along time before you came along and we will be here when you are long gone.  I know it is hard for YOU to believe, but our success has everything to do with us and absolutely NOTHING to do with you or your referrals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:38 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

A little positive posting could be a good idea, on this site we try to encourage people not put them down. It appears that Karaoke 1 is not a happy camper. maybe you could log on to
www.bitchalot.com.au.

Michelle  :angry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:51 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Or better yet, run along and play elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:59 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Amen to that Matt!

:thumbs-up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:51 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

We support Debra, from Star Karaoke If you cant tell by now, so nobody is going to supprt your posts if you want to put her down, sorry you came to the wrong place. Karaoke 1

:crazy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:42 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Mobile, Alabama (On the Central Gulf Coast 1-65 at I-10)
Thank you all.  

On a different note, don't burn the turkey or the plastic as this holiday is fiiled with eating and shopping!

Have a Safe Turkey Day, pilgrims!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:03 pm 
I had an idea...how about an informal KJ conference in vegas let's say...hmmm NEW YEAR's Weekend.....I know most of you are probably booked but it would be fun...and we can get the issues out and probably organize some type of Guild of Karaoke Companies / KJ's to return some respect to our Beloved Trade... If interested Email Me @ SprocketKaraoke1@aol.com Attn:Brian D. maybe we can Hijack someone's show in vegas... :sneaky: like we'd really do that...

just some food for thought..
Let's Eat!

Brian D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I know Michael Valentino's been talking about wanting to do a convention, but it's still in the planning stages!

Maybe you guys should put your heads together!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:58 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Not being a KJ, my response to all of you is that whatever you're getting paid, its not enough for all the stuff I've seen you put up with. Keep up the good fight guys and gals. Without you I would be spending my retirement in reclusive boredom instead of having so much fun. :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:25 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Jimmy--I'd glady trade you a month of your "snakebit" schedule for my golden, bar filled month! We all know private parties is where Da REAL money's at! Count yer blessings and keep on keepin on!

I agree with a lot of what's said here--being a KJ, or rather a GOOD KJ is hard work and a matter of personality first. Everything else (equipment, song selection) is just gravy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:48 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I am the king of So. Cal and I'm taking over Vegas next. peace, love rokkenroke.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:07 am 

I am brand new to the business and have just booked my second recurring show. I have Wednesdays and Saturday lined up. I regret thta I offered my first two weeks to the Wednesday venue at no cost to show him what Karaoke could do for his business. I have regretted it since I said it but I was new and figured without a following I had to make it palatable for the owner to give it a shot. I have a GREAT sound system and know how to use it. Because I am a man of my word, I refuse to renig on my offer but I have let the owner know that the price will go up to around $125 after that. As I negotiated with my Saturday show (last night) I had predetermined that if they wouldn't give me at least $125 as a starter rate I would turn it down and they could get what they paid for. They readily agreed to pay the $125 until a crowd can develop or until it is obvious that one will not.

I am going out today to do the nasty sales part of this job and I am armed with a little more confidence and self respect. If I can't get $125 for a show, I just won't take the show but will graciously leave my card and smile.

As for the INdustry Standards:
I HATE unions, always have, always will. In my opinion the bar owner has the RIGHT to hire a cheaper form of entertainment, but he WILL get what he pays for. If I wanted to operate in a price controlled environment I would move to Communist China. As the economy has slipped the bar owners have been forced to do what they can to stay afloat and sometimes that means taking the cheaper show just to keep from shutting down the karaoke all together. I am doing this to get away from my "day job" which I hope will happen by December. If I can't go into a place with my quality equipment and fair rotations and decent selection and command a higher price then I don't deserve one. Free Market Capitalism 101. I will no doubt lose some shows to "undercutters". But that is okay. I will find another club and will eventually be called back anyway. There will always be "undercutters" in every field that cheapen the image of the profession but the true professionals will rise above the mirk and will glow even brighter. As owners see the crappy service they are getting it only makes the dedicated professional look better. Set your bottom line and stick to it. If the bar owner balks, then offer to sit down as a "business person" and show them the numbers and the legalities they face for hiring the pirate hack who is willing to work for pennies.

As I stated before, I regret making my first two weeks free. On the other hand, they had NO karaoke and I did not put anyone else out of a gig.

Good luck to you all.

KingzAudio
New Albany, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Riff, you're closer to my position than I originally thought!

I don't think the people are really trying to Unionize, but rather, try to educate the newbies into this business about setting your costs at the same level as other professionals.

By the same token, I feel that price should include all aspects of your business. $125 is fine for an INEXPERIENCED KJ with a good sound system and a starting library. But for someone like myself, it's considered a "bad" thing to lower my price. However, in a bloated market where there is tons of competition, I felt I had no choice.

Now, I was approached the other week about a new gig, and I turned them down FLAT. For they wanted me to undercut their current guy. One, the price wasn't even worth mentioning. Two, I have a day job, so I'm not pounding the pavement looking for a means to support my family. Three, the other guy is doing a good job, he just won't take their crap! After I explained myself, they said they would have no trouble meeting the same price as he's getting paid.

I said, "no problem. We'll all sit down together and you can explain to the now departing KJ why he's being replaced. Also, my price is NOT the same as him, but $50 more, because I have nearly twice the songs, and I've been doing this professionally for seven years, not two the way he has been."

THey balked, and went away, skulking.

In this world of high competition, yes I could have easily gone to the price they wanted... it would have been better for my pocketbook. but I will NEVER take a gig away from another outfit IF they're doing their job! And this guy was! He's been to my gig a couple times, admitted I'm a better company than his, and was worried I WOULD try to take his gig. BUt I stood fast to my own beliefs, and then told him if I were him, I'd start looking elsewhere for employment, for the owners have proven what kind of businessmen they really are! He agreed, and asked if he left, would I go to them.

I said "absolutely not! I'm in this business for the pure enjoyment of it... I have MY standards, too!"

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:24 pm 

I have just returned from beating the streets pasing out cards to clubs. Some have Karaoke already, some don't. Either way, I simply tell them to keep my card if the need ever arises. I have even told them pouint blank I am not here to undercut anyone, but if there is a night when they can't be here for a party of whatever, or if you want to add another night and your current KJ is already committed elsewhere then give me a call.

I refuse to take away a gig. If the owner wants a change that is a different story. People get fired from other jobs every day for many reasons. I believe in the owner's right to run thier place as they see fit. I could have haggled with the owners of these places today and found ways to get in the door. I AM a salesman after all. But I also have an ethical obligation to myself not to hurt others.

I am getting a lot of help from a KJ here in town. I call him anytime I need advice and he is glad to help. He even referred me to my Saturday show which is cool because he plays there on Fridays but is committed elsewhere on Saturdays so he threw me the lead. I promte his shows at mine and he does the same for me. Too many people in this business are insecure and afraid of who might compete with them. What's wrong with competition? It hones our talents and keeps us from getting stagnant. Lobg live the competition. May I never get so bitter that I curse them for being shrewd businessmen and women.

KingzAudio
New Albany, IN