KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Seeking songs for karaoke contest/karaoke in general Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
TL;DR version:
• Loose five-minute time limit for contest performances.
• Boyish baritone with a solid high range... for a baritone.
• Artsy is good.
• Please and thank you.

Full version:
Technically, it's a general talent contest, but the emphasis is on karaoke. The first three rounds are open qualifying rounds -- one per week for three weeks. The top five performers from each of those rounds go on to perform in the final round. Two rounds have already passed; I missed the first one and didn't qualify for the finals in the second one, so this week is my last shot.

I mostly listen to jazz and prog rock, most of which, needless to say, isn't particularly great for karaoke. Upon halfheartedly creating mental lists of songs I've heard, songs I enjoy (or probably would enjoy) singing, and songs I am capable of singing reasonably well, I discovered (or rather, confirmed) that I have a huge man crush on Peter Gabriel, because almost all of the songs common to all three lists were originally sung by Peter Gabriel, either as a solo artist or as a member of Genesis. That's convenient, because some of his solo stuff works well in a karaoke setting; I've gotten decent responses out of Solsbury Hill and (especially) Sledgehammer. I need more ideas, though, for the contest and for karaoke in general, because eventually someone is going to figure out that all of the cool songs I'm singing that people haven't heard before are just the Gabriel songs that didn't get any radio play. Contest performances are loosely limited to five minutes. By "loosely," I mean that I went for six minutes last week and nobody said anything about it.

Speaking of Peter Gabriel, if you shift his vocal range (from the '70s and '80s, not now) down about two semitones, you get a pretty good approximation of my range. In other words, I'm a baritone with a solid high range... for a baritone. I also sound younger than I actually am. Considering that I'm 24, that basically means that I sound like a teenager, minus the voice cracks.

With regard to recommendations, don't worry about whether or not a song is officially available in karaoke format. I've gotten some perfectly acceptable karaoke tracks using MIDI files, good soundfonts, and a bit of elbow grease. Also, feel free to recommend the "obvious" songs -- you might be surprised by what I haven't heard or totally forgot about.

Oh... by the way, this is what I failed to qualify with last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SBkppkWYFc

I sang the keyboard solo. I thought certainly they'd let me through after that. Either the judges didn't realize that part was in 13/8 or nobody likes a show-off. Probably both.

Here's what I'm considering singing this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWRrQ6GlI8o

I've chosen this one because most of the qualifiers so far have sung slow-ish vocal showcases, as opposed to fun, upbeat tunes (like the one I did last week). I can be talked out of it.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:30 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
IMO (in my opinion) when it comes to any contests, i think folks love to see contestants do something out of their perceived comfort zone (according to the judges view on them.) i'm beginning to think in contests you're not competing against anyone but yourself. if you outdo "yourself", you could win.

for ex: a friend of mine who sings well enough finally won a karaoke contestant by doing a rap song. completely unfair & doesn't make sense, right? but the judges were tickled that he didn't look like he could rap at all to them and he performed a rap song well enough.

so, try songs that you'd feel judges will think are outside your comfort zone/yourself. if you appear like you can handle peter gabriel, actually singing peter gabriel won't shock anyone. so, sing al green instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
What about "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel? That song is beautiful when done well.

A little newer, but in the same baritone and progressive rock vein, how about "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails. I think the Johnny Cash version is more readily available on karaoke discs. One of the most beautiful and chilling vocals ever made, if done right!

Also, maybe "Black" by Pearl Jam? Eddie Vedder has a similar vocal range to Peter Gabriel.

"Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica?
"Glycerine" by Bush?
"Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers?

All great vocal performance songs!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:03 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Product 19 wrote:
so, try songs that you'd feel judges will think are outside your comfort zone/yourself. if you appear like you can handle peter gabriel, actually singing peter gabriel won't shock anyone. so, sing al green instead.

Very insightful. I came back to look at this thread only a few hours before the last qualifying round, so I didn't have time to rehearse anything new, but this does seem to be the case. I nailed The Lamia, but I didn't qualify. I tried not to look at the judges too often; I wanted to focus on the singing and not worry about what the judges were thinking. However, I couldn't help looking after the big moment near the end. They looked bored. I guess high notes don't come as a surprise if it doesn't sound like you're struggling. (I was a little bit worried about the B4s at the end, because I do struggle with them, but it rarely sounds like I'm struggling.)

TopherM wrote:
What about...?

Yes! Thank you! I'll probably pass on "Glycerine," but I like the rest, and I don't think I would have thought of them on my own, except "In Your Eyes." That one is already on my to-do list.

I also forgot about Tool... and "Schism" happens to be available in karaoke format. How did that happen? Whatever, I'm not going to argue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:25 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Just make sure if it's a ballad you can make the audience/judges 'feel' what you are singing. Emotion! If it's an upbeat song, don't just stand there, get the crowd involved either by having them clap along or just dance around instead of just standing there looking at the monitor. We just had a finals tonight, the girl that won sang a ballad but it was almost haunting where it gave you goose bumps the way she could project what she was singing in her stage actions, and the second place winner wasn't the best singer but had the stage presence that just put him over the edge over someone that was a slightly better singer but just stood there.
Sing a song that is right for the crowd - don't sing a Sinatra type song in a rock/pop crowd or vice versa!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
If you are speaking about a contest like say 'Talent Quest' the first thing to realize is it's not a singing contest .. even if billed that way. It's a talent show that leans to the musical theater as you are judged on costuming, stage presence (read: theatrics), and vocals to some degree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
1980's: Living on a Prayer, Bon Jovi
1970's: Play That Funky Music White Boy, Wild Cherry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:05 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

seattledrizzle wrote:

Unless you were really hyping up the stage presence, neither of these would be my recommends.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonman wrote:
seattledrizzle wrote:

Unless you were really hyping up the stage presence, neither of these would be my recommends.

You mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/embed/mOHkRk00iI8

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
Robin Dean wrote:
If you are speaking about a contest like say 'Talent Quest' the first thing to realize is it's not a singing contest .. even if billed that way. It's a talent show that leans to the musical theater as you are judged on costuming, stage presence (read: theatrics), and vocals to some degree.

Exactly. The first thing you must do is take a step back and make an honest assessment of the contest itself. Is it a TRUE singing/talent competition? Or a popularity contest. In my experience, 98% are popularity contests and a good percentage of bar contests are rigged.

I once saw a very mediocre woman win a trip to the Bahamas in a local "Idol" karaoke show singing "Mustang Sally". Why? Because the judges weren't pro's and the crowd went wild and sang along.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:28 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
seattledrizzle wrote:

That would probably get a non professional thrown out of a bar. LOL That guy was a paid actor if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
seattledrizzle wrote:
Lonman wrote:
seattledrizzle wrote:

You mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/embed/mOHkRk00iI8

:lol:

thanks for the laugh, I really needed it. been a crappy couple of weeks

-James

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:30 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
I agree with Super Duper Poster in the fact that most singing/karaoke contest have judges that don't know what they are doing. I had an experience about 4 yrs. ago where you had to go to different establishments to qualify and I did "Turn The Page" by Bob Seger and thought that I had nailed it. I didn't use the monitors at all and directed all of my attention to the judges. I lost out and wanted to know why and they said it was because I didn't look at them which was father from the truth. I just think they knew who they wanted to win that's why I never compete anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
DDKaraokeOutlaw wrote:
I agree with Super Duper Poster in the fact that most singing/karaoke contest have judges that don't know what they are doing. I had an experience about 4 yrs. ago where you had to go to different establishments to qualify and I did "Turn The Page" by Bob Seger and thought that I had nailed it. I didn't use the monitors at all and directed all of my attention to the judges. I lost out and wanted to know why and they said it was because I didn't look at them which was father from the truth. I just think they knew who they wanted to win that's why I never compete anymore.

This is 98% of all Karaoke contests. Except for Earl of course. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Who would be the best judge for a contest. I have to wonder if it would be someone who was totally unfamiliar with karaoke. I would want someone who likes music, but who isn't familiar with the karaoke scene.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:16 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

seattledrizzle wrote:
Who would be the best judge for a contest. I have to wonder if it would be someone who was totally unfamiliar with karaoke. I would want someone who likes music, but who isn't familiar with the karaoke scene.
When we do contests our judges our typically not anyone from the bar - so no biased in that manner. They are usually local musicians that are karaoke friendly (yes they exist), vocal instructors from local schools, radio dj's (usually college dj's are more readily available) - even karaoke hosts from other towns if you know any. For large $$ contest - we've used up to 8 judges before and of mixed gender. Problem I see with most contests I've been to is they use people from the bar that know everyone, only use 2 or 3 judges, usually all the same gender (or biased to one side or the other) and have no musical background whatsoever.
Also, and this is one of the key aspects, never NOT show the judges sheets if someone asks to see them. I've seen many a contest over the years where a friend of the kj or someone that shouldn't have one because they know someone - but oddly enough the judges sheets were not allowed to viewed by any of the contestants after the winner was announced. One contest I watched sometime around 92, they started the contest, a friend of the kj came in about 5 songs into it, was allowed to enter - and won. The judges even looked at each other and said um no that isn't who we voted for - but low and behold the sheets weren't made available to see. That was when I started to learn what NOT to do for a contest! 1) once a contest starts - that's it, no more entries 2) show the judges sheets! Especially on bigger $$ contests.
We were in a statewide contest (approx. 40 bars involved). Prize was $2000 and do a 5 song opening act for Diamond Rio at the local state fair. Our 1st place finalist not only won our preliminaries - she took it all the way and won the state finals. We did the next 2 years as well, the next year was a $3000 prize & open for Peter Frampton - out finalist to 2nd in state still getting him $1000 and about $250 in karaoke equipment.