KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - New to Karaoke but have a question Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:04 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hey all I enjoy Karaoke but only do it every month or so. I have had thoughts of setting up a Karaoke bar of some kind but of course I have lots of questions.

Where can you find out about the legal side of Karaoke and the cost of taking a song and making it available for Karaoke?

Are Karaoke companies working with the music industry when they have a song list?

Lots of ignorance on my side of the fence here. Any answers or directions to sites or posts I can read to learn more.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Wootah @ Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:04 pm wrote:
Hey all I enjoy Karaoke but only do it every month or so. I have had thoughts of setting up a Karaoke bar of some kind but of course I have lots of questions.

Where can you find out about the legal side of Karaoke and the cost of taking a song and making it available for Karaoke?

You say set up a bar - as in running your own bar? Or setting up a company to run karaoke in a bar?
The cost of making karaoke tracks legally are pretty high as you have to acquire copyrights & mechanical sync rights to show the graphics, not to mention the actual time to create the track - if you are musically inclined to be able to play all instruments or needing to hire a band & record. Usually most karaoke companies just buy discs already made & leave it up to the manufacturers to pay the big bucks to create the discs.

Quote:
Are Karaoke companies working with the music industry when they have a song list?

Chances are most karaoke companies aren't doing anything but buying their discs for play in the clubs and venues they play. It is actually up to the venues themselves to acquire the proper licensing to allow karaoke or any form of entertainment in their clubs.

www.ascap.com
www.bmi.com
www.sesac.com
these are the 3 main publishers that the bars need to be paying annually to be legal.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile