KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Filler Music Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Filler Music
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Is compuhost the only Hoster out there with filler music I really like that option but i'm not crazy abou the rest of the program. Anyone know of any other ones ?
I also like the fact that it tells who is up next.
I would just use a seperate program for fill in music but i like the fading technique.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Filler Music
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
clubdjpro, tricerasoft's player...

LOTS of alternatives to just Hoster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:42 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I'm playing with Siglos Karaoke Pro right now, the demo anyway. I think it does but I definately dont have the program figured out yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:00 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I guess I wasn't looking for a program that would do something besides karaoke. I DJ also, and I have a couple of lappys LOADED (hundreds of hours) with music and I set one up on one of channels on my board. Just using windows media player, I set it and forget it, and leave it running. Singer finishes, fill music slider goes up...New singer starts, filler music goes down. If I didn't do a lot of DJ'ing, I don't know as I'd go to all that trouble but it's a simple way to get a good variety fo filler music. Keeps the karaoke computer just playing karaoke music. Maybe I'm simple that way but it sure works well for us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:22 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
MTU Hoster will be capable of filler with crossfading with the next few upgrades. This is my preferred program. But right now I just use an exteranal unit (actually full blown dj computer) for fill in between songs - i'm a hand on type of host.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:42 am 
I am my filler. I think it speeds things up if the next song starts. I also use AVS which is a visual aid that wraps around my karaoke graphics, since I take advantage of the big screens at both my venues, I have a list of the next eight singers. This is to keep things moving.

I've seen KJs use filler, and if the song's cool, wait to call up the next singer, then others want to hear other songs, etc. I play DJ sets before and after, and I'll throw in a cool new song somewhere in the middle of the show to keep the blood pumping.

Filler Schmiller! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
I don't like filler. It takes the spotlight off the singer, and it shouldn't be necessary when you don't have to find disks.

I find that if you keep people informed as to who is next, both verbally and by means of a screen display, they are on their way to the mic as the last singer fades. We don't see much dead air. The only dead air I see at computerized shows these days is that stupid negotiation between a regular and the host where they can't decide what to sing. And that covers the disk-finding time at a CDG show, which I suppose is why filler music is so popular. As a singer, I am far less likely to come back to a show that plays lots of filler.

The host we replaced at one venue did filler -- a full song between singers. It kept the non-singers happy, but the problem is that the non-singers are fickle. They like to go where there is a crowd, and the singers provide the regular crowd that will always be there no matter what. If there are no singers, then the non-singers don't show up because "nobody's there".

Every so often I play TV themes between songs. People like to sing along or guess them, even the singers. But playing songs someone may sing later doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Quote:
and it shouldn't be necessary when you don't have to find disks.

Any host worth their salt already has the next disc or two out ready to go before the next singer is up. I never use filler music.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
one full song between singers is NOT filler. 10-20 seconds of music while waiting for the next singer to put their beer down and make it to the stage, seeing their name on the tv as they come up... to me that's much better than hearing the kj drone on in a voice most don't want to hear. Most people ignore the banter anyway... they just want to know when they're up next.

And when you have some singers singing crap that brings the night down, filler music is excellent for re-energizing the night right back up, and helps to remind people other songs they might like to sing, or other songs by that same artist.

- My opinion only - yours may vary!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

timberlea @ Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 am wrote:
Quote:

Any host worth their salt already has the next disc or two out ready to go before the next singer is up. I never use filler music.

Yes, in fact I have seen some CDG shows with multiple players that can flow faster than computerized. They cue the second and avoid the silence at the beginning.

By "find disks" I was mostly referring to the type of host that allows the regulars to come up and decide their song on the spot, using the filler music as cover. When the number of singers per hour goes below 10, or even lower, I leave. I have never seen a show like that stick around long term.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I can see how a whole song could be a little much when there are a bunch of eager people waiting to make there way to stardom!! But even they are always ready for a good line dance. I think filler music is a great attribute to any show you can really keep the vibe going by 30 seconds of good music in between songs while the next soon to be legend is getting ready for there performance, I hate trying to scream to someone while the music is BLARING and then all the sudden its dead air and im screaming like a maniac for no reason LMFAO!!
Just my opinion filler music keeps the vibe going and is way more professional than silence.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:50 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

mckyj57 @ Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 am wrote:
Quote:

Yes, in fact I have seen some CDG shows with multiple players that can flow faster than computerized. They cue the second and avoid the silence at the beginning.

This much is true. I always had 3 separate players, 2 were always cued up with the next two songs coming up also cued to the point of music start when someone walks on stage. Can't do that with my current Hoster (setting start times) - at least at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:50 pm wrote:
mckyj57 @ Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 am wrote:
Quote:

This much is true. I always had 3 separate players, 2 were always cued up with the next two songs coming up also cued to the point of music start when someone walks on stage. Can't do that with my current Hoster (setting start times) - at least at this time.

The one thing I like about Siglos is their "skip silence" feature.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Quote:
By "find disks" I was mostly referring to the type of host that allows the regulars to come up and decide their song on the spot, using the filler music as cover. When the number of singers per hour goes below 10, or even lower, I leave. I have never seen a show like that stick around long term.

In our case that is normal procedure, takes all of 2-3 seconds and the song is qued and playing. Compuhost would not work for our high paced shows. It would slow the pace and drag it down considerably. Personally I dont have time to pull CD'S and restore them. Have you ever done a show outside in the dark and only a single yellow light bulb for light?

We are not sitting there learning new things or trying to develop a format. We have run digital karaoke for about 8 years using several software programs.

Our show formats change dynamically as situations or crowds change. Arguing fll or no fill, dance or no dance is mute. Our waitresses dance on the bar..I havnt done it for a awhile but at the VFW we used to do cakewalks for charity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I use winamp run on a seperate sound card for filler. That way I can turn it up and down as needed on my mixer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Like it was stated earlier in this post, any KJ worth his salt is going to have the next song or three ready to go, whether on computer or disc. I don't always use it, often my singers are quick enough to not need it, but like Lonnman said it is sometimes helpful to change a mood or get a happier vibe working, and is usually only 15-20 seconds.

Unlike many here, I make most of my money on private parties, I have a regular Saturday gig. The people at private parties often don't pay attention to the who's next, or even if they know, they still take a while to get there, and there's no playing the karaoke nazi. A little filler music comes in handy, or since many of my private parties are a combination of KJ and DJ, I will play the whole song. If they are paying me for their party, then whatever makes them happy is what is the right thing to do.

Felix the KJ
8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:41 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Just because you have your next song ready to go, doesnt mean the next singer is ready to go. A little fade in / fade out filler should be used "AS NEEDED" to keep the tempo and mood. Let's not forget why we are really there. Keep them happy, keep them drinking, keep em at this bar. I'm sure we've all heard:

Hang on, he's outside!
Hang on, he's in the bathroom!
Hang on, he's on the phone!
etc, etc.
Or the dreaded, 1 index finger up "hang on a sec" motion to witch I immediately yell out over my mic, OK......skipped, next up is .......
It's good to be the guy with the mic!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:18 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Robby H. @ Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:41 pm wrote:
Just because you have your next song ready to go, doesnt mean the next singer is ready to go. A little fade in / fade out filler should be used "AS NEEDED" to keep the tempo and mood. Let's not forget why we are really there. Keep them happy, keep them drinking, keep em at this bar. I'm sure we've all heard:

Hang on, he's outside!
Hang on, he's in the bathroom!
Hang on, he's on the phone!
etc, etc.
Or the dreaded, 1 index finger up "hang on a sec" motion to witch I immediately yell out over my mic, OK......skipped, next up is .......
It's good to be the guy with the mic!

When I hear them excuses we don't wait, we go right to the next singer & the one that got skipped over will remain skipped until I see they are back. If you train your crowd, you can get them up pretty fast - no this method isn't good for all venues, just saying you CAN train a crowd be it no swearing, no drinks on stage or get them up quick. Most of our singers know once the fill music fades, they need to be on stage. Can't wait for people to take their time in 30-40 singer rotations.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:21 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Don't get me wrong. I don't wait, but that doesn't stop em from doing it nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:15 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Here's my solution for "filler" music. Easy fix for me. While I am waiting for the next singer to find his/her way to the stage, I just keep a small mp3 player playing all night long. I plug it into one of my extra channels on the mixing board, and just have it play randomly. I load up-beat songs on it, not my dance stuff, other songs that might spark some interest into the singers, giving them some ideas. I NEVER play more than a few seconds of the songs, just enough to get the next singer ready to go. Only cost me about 50 bucks for a 4 gig player. Well worth it. Besides I can play it anywhere, anytime for myself, and is easy to update.