KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Do you sing in the rotation? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:27 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Here is the thing, some people get mad when the KJ sings in rotation because it subtracts a position from the rotation. For me the reason I KJ is not for the money it for the fun. I have a real a "Real" or at least a 9-5 job that pays my bills (Real...HA! a steady 7 night gig paid me more) but to me where I worked I got my drinks free, I danced with the audiance during the dance music and while some singer sang, and I sang. It was like I was getting paid to go to the bar.

I also had a professional reason I sang. Because I played dance music in the rotation I made a point of singing the first song in the rotation so the singers know the rotation started over. NOTHING made me mad worse then a rotation that never ended because that last singer on the list sang then dance music then some more new singers then dance music and new singers. I would get to the end of the list, then I would sing THEN dance music.

This leads into another question where do new singers get placed? at the end or shuffled in? I always plug them in at the end. If you want to sing come earlier. Another Pet Peeve, Someone comes in, gets to sing a song right away and leaves without even buyin a drink... I've seen it... grrr lol

<steps off the soap box>

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My friend does in his karaoke show, and I did too when I filled in for him a few times. Shows in our area let singers do two songs a turn. but the KJs usually only sing one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
If I am not paid for one of my volunteer gigs, I usually sing.

But now that I am doing this for money, I decided we can sing in the rotation until there are 10 singers. After that we drop out except for the occasional request or duet. This usually means we don't do much singing on Friday and Saturday night. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:26 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
The reason I host is because I LOVE karaoke.
If I didn't get to sing, it would be far less fun for me and half my reward for doing it would be gone.
I will take myself out of rotation only if it gets crazy busy.
Otherwise, I wait my turn and sing like anyone else.
Why shouldn't I?
I have had people come in late, after I pulled my books and closed rotation (I'm talking like 10 minutes or so to close) and ask to sing.
I tell them sorry, come earlier.
Then they get angry when they see me sing my last song. I guess because they could have had my spot?
I tell them I waited just like everyone else did and I was here early, just like everyone else was...
I usually sing the last song, though I might give it to next on the list if they've been waiting a long time and I haven't been able to get completely through the list.
I've also been known to skip myself in rotation to squeeze in a few extras as well, but it's my perogative whether I do or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I sing the first song for good reasons

1) Make sure everything works :)
2) Check levels
3) Make announcements during the instrumental break (drink specials, B-Days etc.)
4) Most people are nervous about singing the first song. We start off the night with a pretty full house.

After that we usually have a very long rotation, so I may sing one more by the end of the night. I see how people would get upset about the KJ singing every rotation, since the KJ will be the SAME guy that tells them that their song won't get up at the end of the night because there were too many singers. LOL! I really don't get the KJ that insists on singing the LAST song. Ugh!

I don't sing any ballads anymore. There are songs that I would LOVE to sing, but I won't. I use my song to get the crowd pumped up. I'll usually skip myself in the rotation and insert myself if we are getting too many slow songs. People will usually change their songs to more upbeat stuff after I sing.

I guess I never really understood the dance music breaks, at least not for my venue. I'll play about 15 - 20 seconds of a dance song as singers rotate, but we get too many singers to play dance music breaks. I like to think that the show stays upbeat, and people usually dance to the karaoke songs. Perhaps since I tease them with a short bit of a dance song, I get a lot of people that ask to sing the song I just started playing. I'm such a tease. Or maybe I just don't get as many slow songs. Oh well, every venue and host is different.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
PirateMike @ Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:29 pm wrote:
since the KJ will be the SAME guy that tells them that their song won't get up at the end of the night because there were too many singers. LOL! I really don't get the KJ that insists on singing the LAST song. Ugh!

That's why I pull my books and won't take requests anymore when I get too full. I usually time it pretty close, right down to the end.
I don't INSIST I sing the last song, just ususally do, but not always as stated above.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:45 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I do not sing unless there is no one to sing which is rare or if I get an occasional request or helping out a duet. I am not being paid to sing IMO, I am there to make sure everyone else gets their chance. If I want to sing, I will come in on my night off or go someplace else.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:03 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

diafel @ Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm wrote:
PirateMike @ Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:29 pm wrote:
since the KJ will be the SAME guy that tells them that their song won't get up at the end of the night because there were too many singers. LOL! I really don't get the KJ that insists on singing the LAST song. Ugh!

That's why I pull my books and won't take requests anymore when I get too full. I usually time it pretty close, right down to the end.
I don't INSIST I sing the last song, just ususally do, but not always as stated above.

Sorry...wasn't directed at you specifically, we happened to be posting at the same time. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If it's a slow night: yes
If it's an open night: yes
If it's a private booking: no

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm out when we get more than six. Which means that sometimes I'll go for a couple of weeks without singing.

Something I learned early on when hosting karaoke: It's all about them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Exactly - they didn't hire you to come and sing!

Moreover, I sort of feel a little shy when I sing, or rather "self concious". As a hot who did it for fun, I used to sing a lot. I'm not claiming to be a great singer, but there are some songs I can do well purely due to practise.

If I sing, it could look a bit "Oooh look at me!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:50 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I don't sing the last song. I usually call the last person and state they will be singing the last song of the night.

The one thing I don't do is sing the same song every night. It becomes a challenge to sing new songs. There are too many people out there that are know as "The one who sing <That> song"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 am 
I have often complained on this forum about people who come to a show to sing and then skip out without contributing much of anything to the owner's profit. It's even worse when such a person shows up towards the end of a show and expects to be fit into the rotation. I don't agree with rotations policies that fit new arrivals immediately into slots between those who arrived earlier.

What I never have specifically said previously is that the first and foremost job of the KJ is to put money into the owner's hands. And tipping the KJ or bar staff doesn't accomplish that! It doesn't matter how popular a show is if it can't support itself. And, unfortunately, we have shows here in S Fl that attract enough singers who won't spend money, that many well attended shows don't last. I find, for some reason, that the younger people spend more than the seniors!

Also, I'm not sure if singing first is the best way for a KJ to do a thorough equipment/sound check? Wouldn't having someone else sing provide a better opportunity to do so, particularly if you want to hear how things sound at the back of the room?

As to a KJ singing to designate the start or the end of the rotation, I'll once again ask what is wrong with simply announcing that the end of the rotation has been reached and that you are starting over?

And are there any amongst us, aside from myself, who often ignores acknowledging where the rotation ends, since there is technically no "end" while new people are constantly arriving during the earlier part of the show?

Lastly, for those KJ's who must sing, please consider for the ongoing success of your show that there are people who avoid shows because they go to karaoke and spend money to hear themselves sing as often as they can! And what they spend pays your fee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Do you sing in the rotation? YES depending on the venue I'll always sing the 1st song - adjust the mix and go from there. If it's a slow night I'll sing a few times a night if it's busy I won't sing unless requested.

Yes ..It's all about the singers but I have no problem singing during my shows.
I dont agree with KJ's that sing 2 or 3 songs in a row or sing every rotation when there are LOTS of singers waiting. It's always about walking a fine line !!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:04 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I always sing the first song and use the intro music to the song to make the announcement I'm starting karaoke and where to find books, slips etc...

I'll sing if the rotation is small or if requested. I've been hosting for a long time at least 3 nights a week, I really don't care if I sing or not. I probably sing more than I think though. I have a lot of people who ask me to duet with them or sing backups. I actually have more fun singing with people than by myself. I love doing harmony.

I'm usually singing all night without a mic being careful not to disturb the singer on stage. I love to sing. I don't need people to actually hear me. :D

I do think it is my job though to let others sing and not myself, especially when it is busy. I find it almost a burden to try to get myself into rotation when I have someone insisting I sing a song for them. The pressure to get as many people up to sing as soon as possible takes precedence over me singing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
There's a KJ around here that has a very crowded show and some of her family members usually attend the show as well as a couple of her close friends. The few times that I've been to these shows it seems like the KJ and her "group" always take over the last half hour of the show regardless of where they are in the rotation. She seems to have an attitude that everyone came there to hear the "best" singers at her show sing just one more time. Some people have waited for over an hour thinking that they would get to sing one more song before the end of the show, and they probably would have; if the KJ and her "group" didn't hog the last 30 minutes of the show. Needless to say, I don't go to that show any longer. If I were to go back to that venue in the future, I would go there and sing maybe once or twice and then bail out early. No need to stick around and support a show where the host thinks that the singers are there to watch a family variety show.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
I'm not a KJ but I think they should always sing at least a couple times a night (plus the intro) and if the rotation is small, more often. It's too much to ask someone to KJ for 5 hours and not get to sing a song themselves IMO. Also, the KJ usually knows a selection of songs that aren't covered by the regulars, and it's always interesting to hear what they sing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

This is totally venue and night dependent for me. I'd rather not sing if I don't have to but I will duet with people, and I will do backup if requested. I, like Babs, am guilty of singing all night long at my station. On the other hand, if for some reason i have a lot of people who came to listen and they request, I will fulfill requests.

At the same time I will be pretty insistent with that someone who has been itching to sing but is scared and will offer and then 'insist' that I will sing with them to get them going. Generally speaking it is a confidence builder for someone who is afraid to sing the first time and it works 9 times out of 10.

I will pop in to the rotation if it isn't too long and if the singers are leaning toward the slow/quiet/ballad type stuff - to bring up the tempo.

I got into the biz as an extension of my stage career so I LOVE to sing but use discretion and host in a deprived state a lot of the time. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:25 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Singing sometimes is a must. I have people that won't sing unless I sing with them. I am very careful not to sing over them and to let them sing parts by themselves if they are doing fine on their own. I also have a harminica player who likes when I do a particular song just so he can play. I leave out some of the vocals so he can be show cased. The regulars don't want to give up their turn in rotation to do his song and I don't mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

BruceFan4Life @ Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 pm wrote:
There's a KJ around here that has a very crowded show and some of her family members usually attend the show as well as a couple of her close friends. The few times that I've been to these shows it seems like the KJ and her "group" always take over the last half hour of the show regardless of where they are in the rotation. She seems to have an attitude that everyone came there to hear the "best" singers at her show sing just one more time. Some people have waited for over an hour thinking that they would get to sing one more song before the end of the show, and they probably would have; if the KJ and her "group" didn't hog the last 30 minutes of the show. Needless to say, I don't go to that show any longer. If I were to go back to that venue in the future, I would go there and sing maybe once or twice and then bail out early. No need to stick around and support a show where the host thinks that the singers are there to watch a family variety show.

It seems this KJ has broken a FEW of the KJ rules by playing favorites and jumping the rotation ...