KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - List Of Songs That You Won't Allow Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Would like to start a list of songs that you won't allow at your show, particularly songs with foul language and/or suggestive content. Think the most restrictive venue you've worked at, even schools and kid parties. Also, do you still list these songs in your book and just tell people they can't sing them because (reasons)?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
djdon wrote:
Would like to start a list of songs that you won't allow at your show, particularly songs with foul language and/or suggestive content. Think the most restrictive venue you've worked at, even schools and kid parties. Also, do you still list these songs in your book and just tell people they can't sing them because (reasons)?
When I left them in my books people would say "if they are listed why can't I sing them"? Out of sight out of mind.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:57 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
In the bar I have no restrictions although there are probably some that I just haven't bought. If the crowd seemed more conservative I might ask that some songs be done later in the evening but otherwise if it is in the book....

I have a separate set of books for Kid shows. Those songs have no "bad words," sex, drugs, or drinking in them--which means it's a very small book. But if the kids are older or if it is a private party and the parents say okay then I let them sing what they want.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
If there are kids in the crowd, I make sure to make an announcement to the parents and say "I don't know every word of every song I have. So if your kids are going to sing, be sure you know what they are singing". I refuse to be the Karaoke Police.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
i have restrictions in place until the witching hour 12am, then it's open season on all
songs.

that is set by the owner of the bar.

it's important that you understand what the establishment wants and when. you should
always include the owner/manager in decisions on what music is going to be allowed and
what is not.

we as kj's wouldn't have work if they didn't hire us so I believe it's important to include
them in what kind of music is played in their bar.

now as a kj, it's important to be able to read a crowd and know when not to play certain
fire fueling music and when it's ok. if things are rowdy at 12am then of course i'm not
going to allow ganster rap and filthy songs to be played, but if everyone is getting along
and having fun then i'll let them sing what they want.

my books are only censored as much as not printing bad words, instead they get "@##$%%^" and that's as far as I go with censoring.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm more interested in the list of songs, if anyone has one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:01 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
Bazza wrote:
If there are kids in the crowd, I make sure to make an announcement to the parents and say "I don't know every word of every song I have. So if your kids are going to sing, be sure you know what they are singing". I refuse to be the Karaoke Police.

My "Kid Books" are for specific All Kid events like Boys and Girls Club or say a school or when specific "Family Friendly" karaoke is wanted at some events. I have also done some "Tween" Birthday Parties. I seem to either be in a dive bar where anything goes or at a Kid Show where it needs to be extra clean. I haven't done a restaurant where I might have a mix.

I can't give a list of songs I wish I could take out. There are times when I have wanted to and even temporarily done it--"F Her Gently" comes to mind--and even "The Rodeo Song." because I believe, depending on the version, there is a racial slur in it. I have been tempted to take out ones dealing in violence or that advocate treating females poorly. But it is too slippery a slope--because if I was to do it fairly all the way round I would end up getting rid of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or "Under My Thumb." So I just don't even start.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
leopard lizard wrote:
I can't give a list of songs I wish I could take out. There are times when I have wanted to and even temporarily done it--"F Her Gently" comes to mind--and even "The Rodeo Song." because I believe, depending on the version, there is a racial slur in it....
Yeah... Sound Choice put that racial slur in their word-swipes... The lyrics are supposed to be "Get off stage ya god damn goof, you know."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 431 times
I freely admit to being a censor... and I don't apologize.

Matter of fact, I not only censor songs, I censor artists as well...

You won't hear "The Rodeo Song" or any of the (@$%&#!) songs, or most of the Nine Inch Nails songs... nor will you hear Kanye West (because I have zero respect for him) or Justin Bieber (because he's a spoiled brat and an embarrassment to Canada) and a few others I won't bother to mention.

My shows... my reputation... simple as that. If it should ever happen that the venue doesn't like that policy (and so far, they endorse it wholeheartedly), they can find another KJ.

If the patrons object to my policy, and so far that hasn't happened either, they can find another venue...

Like all of you, I have thousands of perfectly acceptable songs... If someone can't find one that's worth singing... I'm sure some other KJ will accommodate them... so.. "buh bye"..

My shows aren't always squeaky clean... I'm certainly no prude... Come to think it, I tend to inject some more colorful language over the microphone from time to time... but I won't allow filth for the sake of filth..

As always, your mileage may, and probably will, vary.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
The club I work specifically doesn't want anything vulgar in general - especially anything with the F-bomb. I simply don't list anything with questionable content - like mrmarog stated, out of sight, out of mind. The majority understand and abide.
Occasionally I will allow someone to sing something not listed if I know they will behave themselves on the mic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Earl wrote:
I freely admit to being a censor... and I don't apologize.

Matter of fact, I not only censor songs, I censor artists as well...

You won't hear "The Rodeo Song" or any of the <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span> songs, or most of the Nine Inch Nails songs... nor will you hear Kanye West (because I have zero respect for him) or Justin Bieber (because he's a spoiled brat and an embarrassment to Canada) and a few others I won't bother to mention.

My shows... my reputation... simple as that. If it should ever happen that the venue doesn't like that policy (and so far, they endorse it wholeheartedly), they can find another KJ.

If the patrons object to my policy, and so far that hasn't happened either, they can find another venue...

Like all of you, I have thousands of perfectly acceptable songs... If someone can't find one that's worth singing... I'm sure some other KJ will accommodate them... so.. "buh bye"..

My shows aren't always squeaky clean... I'm certainly no prude... Come to think it, I tend to inject some more colorful language over the microphone from time to time... but I won't allow filth for the sake of filth..

As always, your mileage may, and probably will, vary.
I echo your statement to a tee. As I recall you have a very successful show without the vulgarities. I too have a very successful show and I bet it is for the same reasons. I have a couple hundred artists and ALL their songs that I won't allow to be sung and are not in my books. No apologies here either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:33 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
hey earl, your post, i can respect that

so far, the only vulgar song to get us in trouble that i can think of off the top of my head is: female rapper Khia with the song "My Neck, My Back". someone sang the raw version out loud and customers got upset and refused to pay their meal. it didn't happen on my night though. happened to a fellow KJ.

i need to put some sort of warning on Notorious B.I.G.'s song "Juicy". All the versions that I've come across start out with a voice in the karaoke song itself saying "Get a grip, motherfather" as the song starts. So, whenever anyone requests it for karaoke, I let the song play with the volume off and finally put the volume up after I think that line passes. So far, none of the singers have noticed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Here's the list of songs I don't allow at my show:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
TopherM wrote:
Here's the list of songs I don't allow at my show:

I'm not familiar with that one... Could you hum a few bars? :ppfftt: :ppfftt: :ppfftt: :ppfftt:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

SO helpful -_-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Ah! My point was that if I own a legal copy of it, I let the singers sing it! No censorship at my show :mrgreen: