KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - How do you handle.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
sidewinder @ Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:56 pm wrote:
How many of the 750 contacts show up?

You are lucky to get 1%.  Never 10%    Telling people you have a new gig is one thing.  If they come is another.

Maybe if i paid for their gas and drinks. LMAO

How many show, depends on the night.  No I would never expect everyone to show up all at once, that would be to think would happen, but at least they know about it.  A heck of alot better than saying NOBODY knew I was there, I mean NOBODY!  Even if I got 1% of that, well then that would be 7-8 new singers to a new club that wouldn't have been there otherwise.  And if it's a weekly event, the others that read their emails may come in next week or the week after that etc.. because they were let known.  
Just because you wouldn't get everyone you email a broadcast of new things going on out to show up, don't mean it shouldn't be done.  Like I said even if you got 1% return because of your email, well that's 7-8 singers that may not have shown up in the first place.  Doesn't take much time to create an email & send it out to a group.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 pm 
Non-Member

Been Liked: 0 time
You know as i do, that starting a new gig especially if they never had karaoke before is an up hill battle.   You tell everyone you know and hope for the best.   I can't drag people by the arm if they don't want to go.  They could be just as intimidated about going to a new bar as you.   It's that comfort zone thing.   You never know what kind of people the "regulars" are at the new bar.    You hope for the best.    I know i have been a little surprised by what i saw walking in the first time.    You wonder what you just got yourself into.   And if you'll be leaving standing up. :O LMAO

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:21 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

sidewinder @ Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 pm wrote:
You know as i do, that starting a new gig especially if they never had karaoke before is an up hill battle.   You tell everyone you know and hope for the best.   I can't drag people by the arm if they don't want to go.  

No you can't but you stated that "NOBODY" knew you were there.  At least if you could have emailed them then SOMEBODY would have known you were there & MAY have came out to check it out to support your show.  Yes some are club loyal, but then there are jsut as many that are host loyal as well & it doesn't matter where you work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:24 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

New gigs just mean another place for my followers to sing at. Unless it's a Sunday night gig 50 miles from my usual work area, I have people who are thrilled to have another option. I won't work in crummy places anymore, and I will not exclude biker bars. Some of them are full of the most loyal people you could ever meet. Never have to worry about any trouble breaking out. Gets quelled quickly. I won't work at a place where I wouldn't expect the wide spectrum of my followers to sing at. I won't take a job just to get a job, either. Wrong motivation. If you do a good show and have a healthy following, they'll show up - even if they don't come every week. If you have enough followers, everybody can come out a few times a month and you'll still have a pretty healthy rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:27 pm 
Non-Member

I have started many new bar karaoke nights where nobody i knew was there.   NOBODY.

Not nobody knew i was there.   :no:

I knew nobody there. :yes:   Not one person in the bar.  They were all strangers. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:32 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

sidewinder @ Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:27 pm wrote:
I have started many new bar karaoke nights where nobody i knew was there.   NOBODY.

Not nobody knew i was there.   :no:

I knew nobody there. :yes:   Not one person in the bar.  They were all strangers. :shock:

Sorry my bad on that one.  Still a simple email could have changed that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I've actually taken a new approach to contacting bars.  I found that by calling and trying to set an appointment I probably sound like every other joe schmo KJ trying to make a buck.  Now I have a cover promo page printed on velum with my business identity photo watermarked on it.  I paper clip one of my professional business cards to this and go to the bar in person, with my other presentation pieces in hand.  If the owner/manager is there, GREAT.  Get five minutes with them if I can.  If not, (MOST CASES) leave the cover page and business card, quickly go over my stuff with the bartender (hopefully they will pass the word) and find out when the owner/manager WILL be there.  Make a second trip to ask if they got my package and try to get five minutes with them. We'll see how well this works.  :oh yeah:

I know, I'm very anal about my business practices, but I feel like these tactics may help some of you guys out.  I just hope no KJ's around me see this and start copy cating me!  :no:  I almost didn't want to share them, but I think it's a good plan and we're all here to help each other out for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:26 pm 
Non-Member

I too made up a very professional Promo pack.

The biggest problem is getting to talk to someone that can make a decision.   And they have an open mind about it.  If they have had some bad KJs before, good luck.

If you have a show running close by you could try to get them to commit to checking you out.    But it never fails that on the packed nights they couldn't make it.  If you have an off night crowd wise, they'll be there all night long to watch nothing happen. LMAO

You still have to get their attention in a precious few first seconds.   Don't go at lunch time.    Try to talk to a bartender and see if they could suggest a good time to talk to the entertainment person.   Leaving something usually doesn't have the same impact as talking to them and going over it.   It ain't easy. :no:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
I like the idea of the promo pack. Can you guys attach a picture of it, so I can get an idea of how to make one? Thanks!