KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Recording Singers Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recording Singers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:18 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I noticed that a local company is advertising that they have the rights to record singers when they perform and then burn to CD. Does anyone know how one goes about getting the rights to record karaoke singers? I assume this is a copyright issue.

I would like to be able to do this also, but I wouldn't want to offer a service like that without being legally in the clear.

Max

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:09 pm 
Max,
You can purchase a license per track, from a Karaoke Manufacturer.. But also there is a License needed from the Publisher for so many intended pressed copies. This is if you intend to record it and duplicate it or burn it or distribute it at all.

As it is understood from my artist management..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:09 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Good question here. I have a client that wants me to record her singing with a karaoke track to use as an audition tape for a job she's trying to get. I wouldn't charge her and she wouldn't be making any money off of the tape either. Do I still need to go through certain channels to legally be able to do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

This is a bit of a minefield. It depends on where you are, whose track it is, what you intend to do with it and a load of other things.
My best advice would be to speak to the manufacturer of that particular track and let them tell you what their position is!

No-one really seems to know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:41 pm 
I made that mistake once.. and I'll admit it.. but I didn't sell it so it was overlooked, but later notified the manufacturer. Like I had said it wasn't sold. So nothing became of it, which doesn't make it 100% right either.

PLEASE>>>> ALWAYS seek permission before recording a DEMO for Distribution that will be copied to another media. even if it's ONE copy!!! NO MATTER THE COST!! It will save the headaches later. I can guarrentee that from expierence. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:09 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I still don't know how this company can advertise that they have the rights to record singers. From what I've seen so far it looks like you need to get rights for each song. I think that this company must have something that blankets a whole lot of songs. Either that or they are just saying they have the rights even if they don't

Any thoughts?

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
you're seeing someone that's running illegally, my friend.

Unfortunately, the major manufacturers are having a hard time with fighting piracy. And recording a singer is considered piracy, unless you have explicit permission to do so. Now Priddis feels it's okay, as long as you originally bought their music. However, they're the only major manufacturer to do so. Sound Choice and Chartbuster have repeatedly said that no copies are allowed.

I agree, it's a minefield.

What I tell them if they want a copy is "bring in your own equipment to copy it." That way, I'm not running it. It doesn't make it any more legal, but I know that my participation in the illegal activity is majorly reduced.

I had a guy come into my private party and hooked his digital workstation up to my mackie mixer... MY GOD is that a super fine machine! I'm in major love right now. I almost can't live without it.

He recorded several of the singers, and is going to give me a disc. He doesn't charge to make the recordings, but did charge the guy for his TIME... again, it doesn't make it any more legal.

Matt