KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - using copied discs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: using copied discs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:39 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
I've seen a few posts here that lead me to believe that some Karaoke pros make and use copies of their legally purchased discs. According to a group called the Karaoke Anti Piracy Agency, http://www.karaokeantipiracyagency.com, (you've probably heard of these guys, but I'm new to this) it is illegal to use copied discs for any commercial purpose. Can anyone elaborate on this subject? It would be nice not to have to carry the originals around everywhere.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:03 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
welcome to the site Big B!

Please do a search on the site, you'll find a lot of discussion about the use of legal backups. And unfortunately, we've still not come to an agreement on it.

The audio program "That's Karaoke" has tackled it on Episodes 4 and 5. In episode 4, they interviewed Tom from Sound Choice, who came right out and said "Any copies are illegal" as they are a direct violation of their copyright.

However, in episode 5, they interviewed Christian Nelson from Priddis, who said that individuals could make copies of THEIR music IF they owned them.

You will find extremists on one side and the other. However, what you really won't find on here are people who say it's okay to download the music. Almost everyone on here has agreed that as a MINIMUM, you should be a legal owner of the music! And the copiers almost all say unanimously that you can only run ONE copy, and not use the master!!! Otherwise, you're using BOTH versions, and you've only paid for one.

Anyway, do a search... and again, welcome!!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:19 pm 
As it has been said earlier... licensing varies from company to company..
my theory and here is how I see it.. JUST DON'T DO IT unless you have PERMISSION in writing. Cover your butt. But I like how Priddis does business. and not by allowing KJ's to be making copies... but to be working with the customers in a flexible fashion.
I have met Christian Nelson and the Priddis Promotional Team.. They are pure people.. and I would love to work with them anytime. Absolutely nothing but the best and most honest people in the business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:26 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I like both of those responses, but Knightshow I gotta say that was about the most level headed and accurate manner I've seen on that subject. It does get emotional a lot of times, but you've said it the right way :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Thanks Ron, I'm trying to be very fair here!

From the beginning, I've always held the stance that I'm no pirate, and that I pay for my music. YES I have the ABILITY to get "free music", but I'm no THIEF!! So I'll NEVER run a copy that I don't own. I don't have the legal right (purchase) of the material.

At least my being a violator of copyright is minor compared to the fact that I'm not a thief. I just find it hysterical at best that someone I paid my hard-earned money to says I can't copy the disc. They have their reasons... and I have mine. I don't hold grudges against them, but I have also told them, "if you want me to stop, MAKE me in a court of law!"

Until a federal judge comes down on me saying I'm wrong, it's all about personal interpretation of the copyright law.

Post subject: Wow!! In writing!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:11 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

KAPA's view is just one interpretation
I just got a written statement from Christian at Priddis. He also said I could post what he wrote to me and Big B. I think they share knightshows opinions, it's your music that you bought, now use it legally, just don't make multiple copies for multiple rigs if you only buy one copy.

Here's what Christian had to say:

Thanks for your concern. You can listen to our position on episode #5 of That’s Karaoke at http://www.thatskaraoke.com <http://www.thatskaraoke.com/> .

At Priddis we know that as consumers purchase our music, some may want to put the music on their Mac or PC computer and download it to a personal listening device or play at their workstation at work. Some consumers will use our music for competitions where it’s required to bring 2 copies of the music so they can successfully perform and have a smooth running contest. Some consumers may cut the music down to shorter lengths for their performance. We also understand that as a business owner, one wants to protect his assests. As a DJ, one would want to not only protect and insure their equipment but also their music library. Because of this struggle, there are many different strong feelings business owners, consumers and labels have.

We want our customers to use your music. If you’re a consumer that wants to upload a Priddis disc to a personal listening device such as an iPod, do it. If you need to sing in a competition and have to bring two copies to the show, do it. If you have to cut the music down to be in the contest, do it. Don’t, make copies for your friends. Don’t allow other people to download it off your computer. Don’t sell copies of it. Piracy in this form directly hurts the labels. Use your music, but have integrity with it and common sense.

If you’re a business that wants to protect your assets, and you feel you have to bring and play a backup copy, do it. Don’t make other copies for your other rigs. Don’t make copies and sell them to your customers. Once again, use your music, protect your assets, but have integrity and common sense. If you bought a set of tires for your business, you couldn’t copy them or use “backup” copies. I’m just trying to put it in perspective. However, we (Priddis) offer a scratch/breakage plan for your discs. If you scratch or break your discs, send in the disc and we’ll send you back a new one. No monthly premiums, just a bonus for our customers. If you’re more serious about protecting your assets, the National Association of Mobile Entertainers (N.A.M.E. - http://www.djkj.com/ ) offers protection for you, your gear, and your music. So there are safeguards out there for the DJ/KJ. Priddis has been on the forefront of karaoke technology, but never the forefront of the DJ business so our policies aren’t well known.

If I was going to recommend anything for a business, it would be find a program like Hoster (http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-hoster.htm <http://www.mtu.com/> ) and digitize all your karaoke music on a laptop or portable computer. They have great security features for both the label and consumer. And, you don’t have to make “backup” or “work” copies of your discs. I hope to see bigger and better things digitally in the near future.

Another little tidbit is there is a copyright law (section 108 I believe) that states if a phono-recording (audio recording, not a vinyl record) is out of print, it is legal to make an archive copy of it for archival, non-commercial purposes. I’ll let you decipher the meaning of that.

I hope this gives you a little direction. Good luck and thanks for your honest business. It helps keep us in business.

Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:50 am 
My point has been finally been made and well taken. but the one I have been preaching on is the current cd's.. Jimbo...Thanks for posting on that.
It is really Apprecieate.. and so is the link. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Sweet jesus preacher man............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Yes, My son :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:01 pm 

Thanks to all of you for your input, especially the gentleman from Priddis. He has eloquently stated principles which can be applied to any business and he has also relieved my main concerns. I hope other manufacturers follow his lead. I for one intend to start doing business with his company. I also appreciate the warm welcome you guys have given me in this forum. Seems like a bunch of really nice folks hang out here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:51 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

BigB, it is a good bunch of folks here. We don't always agree on everything, and sometimes it can get pretty hot :twisted: But its that sharing of ideas and experiences that make it a great community. When ya think about it - it's a lot like real life, huh :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:19 pm 

I've got what I think is a good analogy for this subject. Imagine if you will: A professional musician has been hired to play a certain piece of music for a wedding reception. She goes to a music store to purchase a copy of the sheet music. Unfortunately, the piece has been out of print for a while and is therefore hard to find and also expensive. She finally tracks it down, though, only to find that it is 2 pages long and the publisher printed page 2 on the back of page 1, meaning she will have to stop playing and turn the sheet over in the middle of the song. What to do, what to do?? You guessed it: make a photocopy of each page, tape them together, and store the original in a safe place. Is this a copyright violation? Some would say yes, but it's a common practice. How do I know? Because I've been a professional musician for 22 years and we make photocopies all the time--stuff gets damaged, used as a coaster, etc. Music publishers know we do it. As long as we're not reselling or giving away their music it's no problem. And in those 22 years no one from the copyright police has shown up at a gig demanding that I produce my originals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:01 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

big b, that's a pretty good analogy. I'm glad ya said "she" though, cause a guy would never do something like that :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:54 pm 
excellant analagy Big b, unfortunately.. for me i'm in the industry and I can't do the things you described.. but what I can do is I can re-write the arrangement in a "Number system Chart" so my musicians can play the songs live, and there is no infringement.. the only thing is the artist or it's right's holder may want a royalty or licence for a preformance or recording.. should it be performed in a live band or the karaoke track be recorded depending on the situation..... that's where it gets ugly...