KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - The karaoke comic Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The karaoke comic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:11 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I think this is the way my show needs to go I need some simple PROPS and or ideas to pass teh night....saw a show in vegas that was a guy doing 100 looks in 10 minutes what a riot I wish I could remember all of them.....I have a great sense of humor and the dry wit thing works well for me JUST NEED IDEAS......

Brian D lets see you come up with a source for this one??? LOL

PS did another show last night MINUS the EQ and sound was phenomenal is it possible to over process things....sounds awesome when I eqd prior to show but during show things seem muffled and not clear as without

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:21 am 
Fas..
#1 No i can't come up with 100 different looks in 10 mins.. good luck!

#2 Yes it is Definately possible to "Over Process" a show if you do it the wrong way or with the wrong equipment. Depending on the system's capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:21 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
It is possible to overprocess. EQ's should be set generally flat with subtle boost/cuts (mostly cuts rather than boosts) in frequencies that need it. NEVER do the "smile" for karaoke, you are taking all the vocal frequencies out when you do this. If an eq is used properly it will make the sound better, if not you will get a bunch of noise.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:17 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It's very possible to overprocess. Any time you start to have sound problems the best thing to do is go back to basics (flat), then make minor adjustments. What seems to work for me is just letting the music happen, then just make minor adjustments on the vocals, for that matter just adding a little reverb, but unless its a deep throated mic swallower, I usually don't like making adjustments to the vocal freqs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:30 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I've ditched my off-board eq and just use the 3 band with mid-sweep. Works for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:08 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I wasw only eq'ing the music not the vocals and then it was sounding good with just music but when vocals added it became muddled I went to the thing barry is talking about and it sounds awesome.

I hooked up my Cerwin Vega 3 way 18" cabs with 2 Peavey sp2x's today and HOLY CHIT awesome sounds.....now just need to figure out some THUMP and I can whip Brians ARSE in sound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:21 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The only trouble with that is that you'll have to borrow Brian's truck!

(and he'd probably let you!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:39 pm 
Fasman,
I have been real professional about this and will continue to be...

Get an 5 band Parametric Equalizer for the final equalizer..Put it in before the crossover and compresser.. and play with it for a while.. .. just experement til you get all the thump and clarity you need.. and i mean let the cut go as low as 10hz. if it's right...you should shake some bar glasses in an empty room... if the clubs system can do it .. BTW do it with a Kid Rock CD.. I tune my in-ear monitor processing with the same cd... i get the impossible out of them.. you should get the same out of your subs.. also I have blown a driver in my in-ears doing it.. so be careful..

Cerwin Vegas are able to get thump.. ya just gotta know how to do it..

Happy Holidays and I wish ya well..
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The problem one is likely to have with any of the Cerwin Vegas is that they are predominantly Disco speakers and they like compressed vocals. Just thought I'd mention it!

There may be some serious bias in what I'm about to say but RCFs and Ad Libs will blow them away for vocals! (both great european brands)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:05 pm 
Berry
I love the RCF's..they used to be the EAW loaded "KF" series speaker for a long time until a few years ago.. but they of course they weren't able to keep up with turbosound's TMS-124 at doing subs unless mixed with an EV or JBL.... unless he tries a.. (another european fav..) Martin "WaveFront" or BlackLine" series speaker but that prices him out of the market.. his only solutions I can think of affordably are.. are trying the above US speakers as subs or a mackie powered sub.. which is a rockin' unit too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:39 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Best subs i've used were always McCauley loaded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:00 pm 
Lon.. I have no bones with McCauley either.. that was the loaded speaker on the 1st large system I ever worked and actually I trained on it.. now they have a GET THIS.. McCauley's 6174 is a 18" 1,600 watt program continious (RMS) supersub that is a variable 8 or 4 ohm sub without burning them up. I bet you need alot of amp to push that to a point of making friends in the 'hood!.. And feeling that 2 blocks away.. ALSO they have some great 900 watt models too.. they are pricey too.. but real nice sounding.. BTW they won't pay your noise ordinance tickets either... :cry:
http://mccauley.com/mainframe.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:35 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Yeah, they kick. I live a few miles from their headquarters & have toured their facility - very interesting. Alot of their products are guaranteed NOT to blow & if you do they will replace them for free! A buddy of mine reloaded his JBL 4732 with McCauley drivers & they sound awesome! Also like Peavey, they have field replaceable baskets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:30 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I was just reviewing strings and noticed this one sure took a left turn. It started out as "Karaoke Comic", then turned into overprocessing, then to speakers :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:36 pm 
Lon,
McCauley's 6,000 series has been around for along time that was the original load along with the 2,000 series in the highs on that system In JBL Boxes, and it moved some serious Air! This system went back to 92. I believe... I'd have to check but it was the first system I had full-time mixing duties on. but indoors it was overkill. Outdoors it was a dynamite system, it did some really awesome concerts and karaoke .. and that system was seen from Denver to Tucson to San Diego, I think every act that ever played on that system will miss those "Purple Monsters". Where they are today is anybody's guess.. but man did they rock. I only have 2 photos of that system and where they are I have no clue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:39 pm 
Ron,
Hang on tight.. you are in for a wild ride... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:43 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I be hanging on - not sure if we're turning right or left next :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:50 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

NO COMIC ADVICE

RON im withyou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:01 pm 
Fasman:
More Professional Advice... Keep your day job stay out of comedy.
as Steve Martin once said, "Comedy is NOT Pretty". :shock: Neither is the karaoke or club & pro audio business.

I think you need to learn the karaoke and audio things first.. you seem to have a long way to go. Let me know when you have to bring someone in to help you. and I'll come to listen to the 15 ways they messed up the system and bring in the electrinic diagnostics to prove it and back my theories.

The operators are standing by... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Brian, I wish you wouldn't do this!

After some time on this site I know you to be a nice man who will go out of his way to help anybody!

But (you knew there was going to be one) you come across as a know-it-all! Fair does, you do know an awful lot about stuff that is being discussed but you could be a LITTLE more diplomatic!

I've read probably all your posts and, technically, they all make perfect sense but I can easily understand why people may fiind you a little abrasive!

Think about your language before you post and then review it before you hit the send button and people will pay far more attention to what you say rather than how you say it!