KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - How do I keep all these CD's on buying? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:17 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
So far this sight has been awesome. I want to thank the people who are involved in running it, and the people who take there time to answer the questions. Now that I'm starting a collection of decent CDG's I would like to know how most of you are storing them for fast access. I know that the KDJ usually have 6 try players and they just store them in there, but what am I to do with the 3 tray JVC. The trays don't come out and I don't want to put them in a binder or in a tower where my people in my house can have access to them, for example, I'm having a party and now I have a million kids touching, droping these CD. I'm definetly going to make a little book, but there has to be something out there that's simple for this type of situation.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Fellowes 320 cd binders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Depending on what you plan to do ? You can pick up hard shelled CD cases at any music store in various sizes and prices? Are you storing in the orginal jewel cases ? or are you using slimline cases or sleeves?

I would suggest for home use keeping in the orginal Jewel cases in a cd case from either odyessey/gemini/skb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:00 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Preferably one with a lock on! And to avoid little fingers keep the discs on a high shelf! Easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:22 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I'm with BJC on this one. I use similar binders. You can get them in various sizes and capacities at any office supply store (Office Max, Staples, etc.) and I've seen them even at CVS type drug stores.

Perhaps I'm over-organized (retired Engineer) , but my procedure is as follows:

When I buy disks, I first assign them a number in order of purchase starting with 001. I log them in an EXCEL program set up "Songbook style", Title - Artist - Ref# (being ie 001-01, disk#-Tr#). Also add an extra column for comments. Put removable labels on the disk and on the binder slot, Keep them all in a large binders in numeric order and religate the original jewel cases to the basement. The binders I can stash anywhere out of the way and are portable and referenced so I can access anything anytime.

I keep a small soft case binder (46 disks) with the disks I am currently using which I carry with me to shows or when traveling, and a printed songbook with only those disks referenced. I just give the binder to the KJ and give him or her the numbered request so that they can find the selection quickly. Seems to work well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:25 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Another thing you can do is check at your local music store, Hastings or similar. I recently saw a plastic storage set up where it was about the size of a couple good size meat loafs. They held 100 discs and had a slide button on the front. You just slide it to the number you want and press the button. It automatically opens and pulls that disc without you ever touching it till then. Wouldn't do for kj's as they'd probably wear it out in a hurry. For home use it should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:54 pm 
Ron...
SHHHHHHHH! it's a trade secret.. but it works well on a rolling cart for 8,000 songs on cdg & dvd... Personally I love the ATA approved flight cases with the slim jewels in them.. it makes 10,000 songs normally but in slim jewels it doubles! 8)

look ma...no scratches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I reccomend either CaseLogic ProSleeves or Univenture ViewPak Sleeves, or whatever they are called.

then i suggest a hard sided case with a lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:55 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Like Penn, I renumber my discs in order of purchase, put on a new label and then put them in slim cases. Each case gets a small sticker on the top showing what disc belongs in the case, and discs that are on the tens (10, 20, 30, etc) get a colored case to help with disc location. When they are in the road case, ti s very easy to spot the disc I am looking for.

I carry them to and from my show in one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2577309467

It can hold 240 thin jewels easily, and it gives them a nice protected ride for right around $40.

I've tried the binder-type cases, but found them somewhat awkward. I was also having some problems with them scratching discs that were used often. With the jewel cases and the discs in order, it is very quick and easy to find a disc I want and then make sure it goes back into the right place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:24 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Big Mike -

Looks like a great organization/storage/transport method. I don't KJ, so I don't worry too much about over-handling and rough transport. If I did KJ (which is a good possibility), I would use your slim jewel case method. Sounds convienient and safe. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I have over 900 cdgs, and I KNOW I'd break my back with that method! LOL!

It's the fellows binders for me as well!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:14 pm 
Knight,
the 3 biggest shows have that much media and more so everything is in rolling ATA - catagory 1 approved rack cases with removable doors. so they can be flown. (catagory 1 means they are in shock resistant cases)
It's a little overkill and more expensive but... i'like the media to arrive in one piece instead of destroyed. I have had 1 case High docked (dropped by an airline freight shipper) before flying and lost 17 cdg's due to broken jewels and them being scratched. The solution was simple they were replaced within 24 hours and the show went on, because the damage to the ATA Case was very visible. that's why I don't use poly cases. the moral to this is you get what you pay for in cases for cd's and gear.. uh.....huh! I think that goes with anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:42 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
We have over 1,400 discs and now have some in SBK cases or cases he made himself. Pics r on another "shocking" site (Laurie The Guy). I will try to post some here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Brian,

I have mine in the fellows cases, and NEVER had a problem with NORMAL wear and tear. I'm a smaller, independant operator. All my stuff fits easily in a small hatchback! I DO comfortably use my van, though! LOL!

Three of the fellows binders fit in a plastic, durable, milk crate! I have four binders!

Sorry, what you're suggesting is just way too much overhead for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have well over 1000 cdg's, Fellowes binders RULE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:50 pm 
I've just had some real hard times replacing some real old cdg's that are not around anymore.. and can't be even found ANYWHERE.. unless some how, some way Soundchoice decides to bring back the original versions.. and to my best of efforts and the efforts of others they refuse to. I think it's because of copyrights & licensing issues. I will not buy those tracks used on e-bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:32 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brian, if you had made backup copies of your CDG's and stored the originals in a filing cabinent or safe at home, you would not be in the bind that you are in now. This is NOT the place to discuss copy or not copy, but if i have a disc that is scratched, snapped, etc... I am out the cost of a blank CDR.

I never liked the binders.... I had one of the fellowes binders when i started and found it a pain to get the discs in and out of the binder.

Face it, no matter what storage method you use, you WILL SCRATCH THE DISCS. I have bought a pristine CDG from the karaoke shop and by the time i have made the backup copy, i can see fine fine scratches on the disc.

As to numbering the discs 1, 2,3............500, 600, etc.... I HATE THAT!!!
When i come out to sing i want to know what version i am singing. My inital library of 67 CDG's i bought off the old operator were numbered A-01 through A-67.... I left them that way, but i have in my song database the Manufacture code and the Original CD#.... I print the Mfg. Code next to the listing.

All my new CDG's are numbered with the manufacturer's numbering like TT-084, CB90054, BS9717, etc......

I hate having to go up to the KJ when i go out to sing and go "Is disc 248 the DK version of Looking For Love?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:56 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Captain.

I take your point on the numbering system but you are in a serious minority!

Most singers coulndn't tell a Sunfly from a Backstage if it's equalised properly so I am a 1 to 10 bloke myself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:26 am 
Captain,
First of all if you have EVER looked back.. I DON'T burn ANY CD copies of ANY media without the permission of any manufacturer and THEN ANY ARTIST for my professional gain in a show. It's purely un-ethical. All my show systems carry ONLY original cdg's, dvd's & lasers. And all patrons who bring in copies get refused to sing, unless they are original tracks without graphics. In my present world it woud be suicide.

Captain, you may do what you like, but I would love to have my systems to be inspected right now.. then I'll send them to you.. how does that grab ya? :shock: :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:01 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
As a singer, I agree with Captain. Serveral times the CD I picked was the "wrong one" and had different timing and music. No way to tell who made it.

Since I also use binders fo my computer CDs, I can say they are able to scratch a CD pretty well. I've had a warm day melt the CD to the binder. DON"T leave them in the car, even for a little bit.

<--- Learns from mistakes