KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Maggie O'tool'es in Washington State, What a Joke! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:24 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Just came back from this "Bar" after seeing in the local Karaoke Newspaper this place had Karoake on Monday's. I am in my 40's yet they wanted I.D. to get in and then you need to go through a metal detector search from some idiot at the door. What a Joke! Anyplace that has this much security in place must be an awful place to be at. I wouldn't recommend this place to my dog! Just wanted to share this awful experience with others. Keep singing!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:37 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Either that or it is now a really safe place to go since their precautions may keep a lot of the troublemakers out.

Myself though, if a bar has a need for metal detectors at the door then I think I would choose a different neighborhood to party in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:00 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It does seem a bit extreme but, hey!, they must have their reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:40 am 
Of course when they put on the Laytex Gloves and Strip Search Ya then you really have to worry where your gonna be in the Rotation!!!!!LOL!! :shock:!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

That would help with Frankie Valli songs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:28 pm 
Or the Bee Gees... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't know, things suprise ya sometimes. I do a show at a local American Legion Post every other Wed, and just last night heard they had a shooting in the parking lot this past Sat. Story I heard was they had a private party in the back ballroom with a bunch of younger head banger types, who even though under age were sneaking out to the parking lot to get their booze and who knows what else, and things got out of hand. So, even though you think a place is fine, sometimes they're not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:40 pm 
Ron
I know that kind personally.. I can remember a couple "other" deals there and other places.. Film at 11... they were not fun to watch.. and i personally don't like that kinda drama..

It really makes a venue look bad in a flash..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:52 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
karaokeexpress wrote:
Just came back from this "Bar" after seeing in the local Karaoke Newspaper this place had Karoake on Monday's. I am in my 40's yet they wanted I.D. to get in and then you need to go through a metal detector search from some idiot at the door. What a Joke! Anyplace that has this much security in place must be an awful place to be at. I wouldn't recommend this place to my dog! Just wanted to share this awful experience with others. Keep singing!

First of all, it's the law to have ID. At any TIME or place in the United States! I have to flash mine when going in a bar, even though it's madly apparent I'm over 21. and yes, they will not admit you without it. Many bars aren't super enforcing. They're just sticking with the local licquor laws.

So you didn't see what the karaoke was like? You're only recommending this based on the security aspects?

My partner and I are martial arts students and instructors. We train the bouncers in our "off time", and the only time I've had a problem is a guy who was 86'd who kept coming back. But he wasn't a problem for me.

However, I can't kung-fu a bullet.

Like Barry said, it's a bit extreme, but without knowing all the facts, how can you make a recommendation like that?

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:15 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Mr/Ms Karaokeexpress

If you were actually to post any info in your profile, your credibility would/may increase, and we would/may know your area/demographic.

'Til then, take a hike.

(All that after one post)

Just sayin'

Jerry

(Yes, I'm listed in my profile)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Karaokeexpress wrote: "Anyplace that has this much security in place must be an awful place to be at"

Why is this person guessing that its an awful place? Didn't they enter? How was the karaoke show?

Here in NYC getting carded and patted down at nightclubs has been normal for years. At jones beach theatre (an outdoor arena for concerts) They pat you down and search your bags, Since 9/11 the sports stadiums do as well, Whats the big deal??

I was carded at 39 years old in one of my favorite karaoke clubs everytime I went, even though they knew me. The bouncer said the owner had a rule that EVERYONE gets carded, No big deal, I used to laugh about it. Btw this particular place had the best karaoke show and host. It was "The Oak Beach Inn" on long Island NY, Sadly it no longer exsists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:09 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Sounds like good business sense to me ... defuse a problem BEFORE it happens ... no harm done ... with the exception of a few people who feel they are above being questioned for any reason ... jeeeez, check your ego at the door! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:17 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't mind being searched by people so long as thay are a) female and b) attractive.
If you started that regime you'ld have a queue around the block!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

30 years ago when I lived in texas, you got searched every time you entered a club, regardless. I think it was a state law. that was san antone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:17 am 
actually, I don't mind it at all.. carded, searched, Check your Artillery & Grenades at the door, if it keeps the place safe, and it works.. I'm all for it! :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It doesn't bother me either. I'd much rather things got sorted out at the door and left ya feeling ok inside, than wondering when the next one's gonna break out inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:51 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Why in fact I refuse to go to any club that does not have METAL detectors in place. JUST PRAYIN, metalgod

Post subject: ID AND SEARCHING
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:32 pm 

Listen everyone, I attend Karaoke shows maybe five times a week usually at the same venues and probably because of the comfort level. I as well as most people carry ID all of the time but there comes a time when common sense must prevail. If the age is questionable, yes, card the person but when you're in your 40's and very apparent of that fact then come on. I also used to bounce at DANCE CLUBS and had to card and pat people down due to the nature of this club. But to me, Karaoke is supposed to be a fun endeavor and I have never experienced this before. Maybe I need to get out more. I have been in many, many Karaoke bars and this was the first time I experienced this. I have never experienced metal detectors and I'm saying if they have to use them they must attract people where this security is necessary. As a safety precaution due to this, I'm saying to others avoid this club. There are so many other places to go where FUN is the primary objective. Of course things happen in places where alcohol is served but usually the problem is solved by cutting this person off. In extremes the police are called. To those who are not bothered by this security level, good for you. For me, the comfort level was just not there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:39 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Express... it's NOT just about verifying age anymore.

It's about proving you're a citizen, and you recognize your rights. The bar has the FULL right to refuse service to anyone, and the current liquor laws of both our states (I recently checked! I'm in Oregon!) do say that you MUST have a valid ID on you at all times while in the bar... yes to verify your age, but also to prove you haven't had your license or ID taken away from you for a misdemeanor or God help us, a felony.

I think it's funny when I get carded. They just look at the id with a cursory glance, just to verify it's a valid ID and not expired. They don't look at the birthdate anymore.

Chances are, it's a newer venue, and that means that they'll be more anal than the rest. It also might mean that yes, they might have had some trouble. That doesn't mean it's the bar's problem, but rather the people that might have went in there at one time.

One of our most successful karaoke venues in this city is smack dab in the middle of three Asian gangs territory, the Crips and Bloods are also trying to make their presence known. If it weren't for the security in place, they MIGHT be taking over the place, despite the great people that hang out.

You really need to open your eyes a bit more and see if it's YOU that maybe has the problem.

You might be completely right about this, and it's a place to be avoided. I just think your REASONS for saying it is are questionable at best.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:03 pm 

You're right Matt, maybe I do have the problem. Maybe it's because I frequent CLASSIER places than you do. By the way Jerry you can take a hike yourself. Carry your guns, you'll have a wonderful time!