KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Maggie O'tool'es in Washington State, What a Joke! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:58 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I'm coming over to the States next year. How will I go on with the ID thing?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:10 pm 
Berry, Any valid Passport or US or state issued government ID is the standard Acceptable form of I.D. and any Governmant Agency will accept that also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks, Brian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Again folks I said sometimes the law is an (@$%&#!) (and asking for ID of those obviously of age is one). BTW I haved pulled over and charged many people for impaired driving, who btw all had ID on them, so that argument is out the window. Those who drink and drive regardless of age are idiots and a danger to the public. Yes I know first hand, i've seen the devastation too many times. Anyway, if those in the U.S. enjoy having to carry ID all the time and produce it for no reason to the police go for it. I'll stay here where I do have some rights to personal security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:41 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Dude! We aren't talking about the police, I believe we were talking about entering a bar!?!?! and AGAIN, it's not a matter of looking the age, it is a law that we do abide by & don't gripe about it because we KNOW it's the law. I worked the door at a couple places & people that didn't have ID regardless of age, didn't get in. Anyone that had expired ID regardless of age, didn't get in. It doesn't matter how old they are - that's NOT the issue, it's the law - if you don't like it that's your business!!!! - You have NO id, you get no entrance. Please do stay there if that's how you feel! I also think i'll stay here if your bars & liquor control laws don't give a crap - BTW you are making it seem!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:30 pm 
Lon,
I used to live and work real close to Canada... I remember when..... the drinking age in Canada was 18... Now it is higher but the laws are relaxed. that was in the days of the former of the "Winnipeg Jets Hockey Team" if that gives ya a timeline. Radio was fun then and so was being a club DJ. Especially in such small cities. Of course now it's much, much different. but i'm starting to see where Tim is coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:22 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Again if a law is stupid it is stupid. There is no logical reason for a person 30+ to show ID. And there are many stupid laws out there. So if at your age you don't mind some bouncer asking for ID you go right ahead. To me it's insulting my intelligence. For a young looking person I have no problem with it and I've done my share of asking for IDs but I also used some common sense about it.

There is a law on the books here I'm not sure if its been repealed yet or it was repealed a few years ago. The law was that the only place in your home where you could consume alcohol was the kitchen. So do you believe that law should have been enforced.

Again a good law makes sense. A bad law sounds and looks ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:35 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

This whole discussion is getting carried away, so I might as well jump in - there are a lot of stupid laws on the books. Did ya know there was a law in either Mass. or Conn. , I really don't remember now, but the law was that it was illegal to tie a giraff to a light pole? In a lot of states there are a number of laws that don't make sense. Apparently they did make sense at some time, or why would they be law?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Living in one country that allows many personal freedoms can quite spoil ya. We used to be that way too... and over the period of years, we've had our arm punched a couple times. From underage drinking, to homeland security to whatever.

I happen to agree completely with Tim, and I think even Lonman does too! It IS a big gripe of mine that obviously you shouldn't have to card people that look of age. It used to be if you "looked 25" you wouldn't get carded for cigarettes. BUT people abused that, so now they card anybody, or have the RIGHT to do so.

Again, if you're out driving around, there's no reason NOT to have a valid driver's licence. I remember standing my ground with police when they wanted to do an illegal search and seizure of the inside of my car. When they asked me to please step outside, I did, and locked the doors behind me. The police demanded entry. I demanded a search warrent. They said they had reasonable cause to search the vehicle. I asked "exactly what do you suspect?" They wouldn't answer.

I told them as the legal owner of that property I was denying ANYBODY to enter that property unless I said that it was okay... the fact that they were policemen only doing their job became amplified, as they were trying to ind stuff to bust me with. Whether it was booze, drugs, or whatever... I didn't have ANY of it. I could have let them search and it would have been no big deal... except for the fact that they DID NOT have the right to do what they wanted to do. I knew my rights. I was an Eagle Scout, and had recently passed my various citizenship awards.

One cop asked me why I was being such a hard (@$%&#!), and I asked him why were they bothering an 22 yr old that was coming home from work. They realized they didn't have a ground to stand on, and finally the stalemate ended when I demanded either they let me go, or the mayer was going to get a real nasty call the next day.

NOW, having said all that, it's imperative that I know and obey all the laws... yes even the stupid ones. Liquor control is no different. In fact, it's a citizen's place to know exactly what they can and cannot get away with there as well. Recently, the gig I work at was being hassled by OLCC. When I asked the rep exactly what the problem was, he refused to give me an answer, telling me to mind my own business. I told him that I had EVERY right as a contractor of the business to know exactly what the problem was, for OLCC could realistically shut the place down, locking all the doors and MY EQUIPMENT inside it... I was not about to have my business be in jeapordy... so I needed to know RIGHT THEN and THERE what the problems were. He couldn't answer... except to say that he saw "problems".

I told him that he needed to put them in writing, or mention them immediately, or to stop hassling the business. The situation became even more intensified when Mike, the cook, began to quote chapter and law about the regulations of OLCC, and said the same exact thing I did.

He left, and they have since left us alone. They had unsubstantiated rumors... that's all!! They wanted to hassle the bar, to pressure them...

Something NOT allowed under OLCC regs!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Way to go Matt. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Just because someone has a badge, it does not give them the right to do what they want. Now if your state passes a law, yes you have to obey it but that doesn't mean laying down about it. If you think that carding mom or grandma is ok fine, if not then protest the stupidity of the law. First it's "papers" on demand at any time for any reason (btw a demand for a reason is ok ie driver's or hunting licence by a proper authority under proper circumstances), next it will be I'm conducting a search and if you don't like it too damn bad. By giving up one right you open the door for other rights to be infringed upon or taken away. All I'm saying is be careful and protect your rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

yep. If it really bothered me, I'd probably write our congressman about it. But as you normally HAVE your ID with you at all times, it doesn't bother me ENOUGH to do that! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well boys and girls, Don't let me let you in on a reality slap.

In spring of 2000 I was almost bed ridden and was unable to walk and in great pain.

I was recovering from my leg operation, A 6 inch plate, 2 rods and 12 screws were put in my leg to help me keep it.

At the time I was so bedridden that I urinated in a gallon jug from my bed.

Low and behold one afternoon I awake with a laser sight in my eyes and the loud sound of someone yelling "POLICE!!!".

I awake to 2 swat team officers in full helmets and bulletproof gear pointing their weapons at my face.

They were responding to a report of "Gunshots Fired" From my apt. The building manager let them in.

After an hour or more handcuffed in my wheelchair under grilling(I won't even mention how rough they were), They decided I didn't shoot anybody.

After countless lawyer consultations I was told that Its within the law for police to enter your residence to investigate certain situations without a warrant,

Furthermore, The caller of the information to start a raid is considered a person giving a confidencial tip and Is protected by law from being revealed regardless of the results.

Wake up America, We aren't as free as we think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:45 pm 
this thread has become a can of worms...

"I give up what is it????"

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Brian, Reattach that great thinking cap you own and backtrack.

Actually Brian I've found you to be beyond my scope, Actually thanks very much for the contacts in your vast collection,

The current conversation is right in line with the subject, Trust me.

Liberty vs Big brother,

Thats the undercurrent, No??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:16 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

blame me for the apparent tangent Brian... I'm the one that started off with a "rights" lesson, and I can see how it gets morphed into OTHER rights lessons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

NO! Blame me Brian, I'm not worthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:29 pm 
What I don't understand is how this thread has anything to do with karaoke, entertainment, clubs, or the like right now??? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:40 pm 
First of all nobody is to blame.. just get over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Brian, Back to square #1:

[Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:24 pm Post subject: Maggie O'tool'es in Washington State, What a Joke!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just came back from this "Bar" after seeing in the local Karaoke Newspaper this place had Karoake on Monday's. I am in my 40's yet they wanted I.D. to get in and then you need to go through a metal detector search from some idiot at the door. What a Joke! Anyplace that has this much security in place must be an awful place to be at. I wouldn't recommend this place to my dog! Just wanted to share this awful experience with others. Keep singing!

Blame the messenger, Happy Hollidays, BJC/color]

Last edited by big jimmy c on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:01 pm 
BJC...
sorry.. i like yas here.. but this thread just has gone too far.. no offense..
i'm outta this one..

not anyone's fault.. no more from me on this topic..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next