KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Contests - Should a KJ compete in them Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:37 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
This is always a quandry for myself....

Honestly, i feel the shows like American Idol and any karaoke/talent contest is for those who sing for fun. NOT for those who sing to get paid.

So should a karaoke host be singing in competitions where prizes are involved (be it cash or other items)?

IMHO, NO

as a KJ you are routinely paid to perform a show in which you sing, thus you are not an amature.

Also some contest rules say specifically that contest is NOT OPEN to karaoke hosts and/or professional singers. Yet i know of a host who entered a contest this fall and placed in the prelims AND won the finals and a cash prize of $1,000. The contest was ran by a karaoke supplier, and the supplier did not establish any rules other than that the host running the show could not compete. The show that the above KJ won was not their show. HOWEVER the entry rules specifically stated NO KARAOKE HOSTS OF ANY KIND; this was posted by the host running the competition.

so what do you think, shoud KJ's be running around competiting in amature contests?
--------------------------------------
OK, at what point does one become considered a karaoke host....... I have a guy who will co-host with me at my shows, he is usually not paid in cash at my pub shows, as i cannot afford to, i usually buy his meal. If he helps at a wedding where i make close to 4 times the amount i make for bars, I do pay him to help me DJ (we don't sing at most weddings)

Is my friend a professional, or not..... he owns none of hist own gear, and does not do shows on his own?
--------------------------------
Should minors (under 21 or 18) be competing in a contest for adults?
- Children seemed to win 9.9 times out of 10 in all the prelims
- a 14YO beat out 28 other adults in the finals

What do ya think?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:51 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Technically, all those things should be covered in the rules. I realize a lot of times they're not. My personal feeling is that KJ's should not be competing in shows. I wouldn't do it for a number of reasons. First off, I don't like karaoke contests. Secondly, if you've ever been paid to host a show (although it might not make you a professional singer) it does place you in the "industry" and should not compete as an amateur. The other thing is that I would not want people who come to my show finding out I was competing for prizes - it just doesn't seem fair, and could cost you some loyal followers. As for the helper, if its an informal arangement where you're not really compensating him for his work, I see no problem with it. I don't consider comping a meal or buying a couple drinks as a way to say thanks for the help as compensation.

Now, having said that, I reserve the right to change my mind as everyone starts arguing the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
KJ's shouldn't participate in their own contests - which I've seen done & it's a joke.
There isn't any reason why a KJ shouldn't be able to compete in competitions that aren't affiliated with his club(s) or company. JUST because you host karaoke doesn't mean you are a professional singer. Some host as a hobby or to fill in. Some host as their livelihood. I've heard hosts that can't sing a note. I've heard hosts that should be doing national tours - so what!! Most hosts are former singers gone KJ.
Just because this is their JOB, disqualifies them from competing - I think that is wrong?
Now let's say I get paid to be a guitar player & there is a local contest to find the best guitar player, should I be banned because I get paid??? I may not be the best player.
Say I work at Ford, can I not drive a Dodge?

KJ's are not necessarily professional singers & should be allowed to enter if they are inclined to do so. Provided it isn't affiliated with their club or company.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:35 pm 
Everyone wants something for nothing, the Lottery, buy a ticket take your chances, raffles, drawings and contests. Does it really matter anymore? I like Lonnies response about staying out of your own contests, anyone else is fair game. Open season and good luck to one and all. I say if a contest is the only way to make you feel better about yourself as a performer, go ahead, and good luck to everyone. Theres a contest going on right now with 3 KJ's and two professional singers who have recorded CD's it was really exciting to watch, I was impressed with all the talent, of course, the pros wiped the floor with the amatuers, but you enter the contests, you takes your chances. Good luck everyone, I hope everyone remembers also, its just a contest......MV :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Bravo Captain! Thanks for making me feel like a pro singer,LOL. Actually I've always been happy to be an amateur.

I can kick A$$ on some songs but its all fun.

While it might be great to compete, I feel it may be gig suicide to compete in any show close to your area. Lets say that you blow away some of your singers in a local contest at another show. There may be lasting anomosity from those singers pointed in your direction.

If I'm on vacation far away, Hell yes! I'm in the contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:13 pm 
I believe MV's got it right....

Until you sign a deal with a label somewhere or are getting paid to do it for reals live.. who cares???? Unless the rules don't have an "Industry or Pro's" division they should be allowed to sing unless otherwise stipulated.
I know a few around here who just went to audition for the NBC deal too,
the word is the couple made rear-ends of themselves just as I predicted.
It's nice to have a dream.. but the reality bites if you live it in the wrong fantisy. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:33 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
I agree with Lonnie's point of view too. Barring any rule stipulating "No KJ's or Band Members (or any other type of musical performer)", I don't see why a KJ shouldn't be allowed to compete in a Karaoke Contest. Obviously, he/she should not be allowed to compete in a ANY Contest that he/she is running, or at an establishment where he/she is working. Anywhere else is fair game in my book too.

As for being a Professional, there's a very fine line here as to what makes you a professional. This has been discussed in many other Karaoke Forums over the years (I'm sure it's been discussed here as well), so I'm not going to start an arguement about that here. But, as Lonnie pointed out, I too have seen KJ's that can't carry a note even if it were attached to a string. And, I've seen some KJs that should be on Record Labels.

As for the comment about KJ's get paid to perform, I beg to differ. As a part-time KJ, I am getting paid to host a show. The show is NOT about me, and I try to sing as little as possible. If I don't have enough singers to keep a steady rotation going, then I sing. If I have plenty of singers, then I'll sing a song to open up the show (and get a sound-check going).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:10 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Ok a slight change of heart. I like Big Jimmy C's idea that if you're away from your own area it'd be ok, as long as its within the posted rules. But I don't think I'd do one in the local area where any of my followers might happen to show up. Even if they didn't enter it could still have a lasting negative effect.