KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Need insight on Everchanging Karaoke Formats & Technology Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:52 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Dear Sammy,
In doing some research, I was very pleased to accidentally stumble onto your site. It is a very user friendly site,and best of all, extremely informative.
The issue that I wish to discuss with you is Karaoke technology creep. As with everything else, the karaoke “standard” seems to keeps changing (e.g., Laser disc, CD+G, and now MP3+G).
I presently have a very humble system that for the most part I am very happy with (see below).
Single tray JVC
200 watt Sansui integrated amp (home system)
a couple of no name mikes, and
a couple of hundred CDG discs.
As I previously mentioned, this configuration is more that adequate for my friends and me. My concern is that am I building a huge collection CD+G discs that will be made obsolete by the emerging MP3+G format. I am starting to see stand alone MP3+G players and numerous offering for MP3+G discs that offer an amazing amount of music for a price that beats any CD+G party pack. (Ebay).
It appears that this is an emerging format that is quickly gaining popularity in Japan and is slowly making its’ way to the States.
In your opinion, would it be prudent for me to start to sell off my CD+G player and disc collection and start anew with MP3+G? I don’t plan to use either format for any type of professional gig, strictly for home use. In the long run it appears it also may be a better financial decision. I am seeing that MP3+G discs offer about four times the amount of CD+G music for the same price. So please gaze into your crystal ball and let me know what you anticipate.
Many thanks and kind regards

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:38 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
No need to sell. MP3+G is a great concept & someday may take over, but right now the legal aspects of them are still up in the air.
CDG's aren't going anywhere - at least anytime in the next few years. I know people that are still running Laserdiscs for karaoke & are still looking to buy them - go figure!!! Oh wait, i'm one of them!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:26 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Like the Lonman says CD Graphics won't be changing soon

The new SUPER CDG is old info on a new format - which may be the new way to go but it has toooooo much info on a single disc, in which will delay new song release dates

I still have cassettes !

Sammy

The opinions of Sammy do not necessarily reflect the views of the Karaoke Scene Magazine - Advice is given with a sence of humor and should be taken accordingly - If you have problems setting the clock on your VCR - You've come to the right place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
K.com occassionally tries to sell the VHS karaoke tapes for next to nothing! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:33 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Opinions, anyone, on DVD Karaoke and it's future? Also how many of you support that format at your shows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:24 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I don't have any DVD's and don't support them. I think the DVD's are mainly for the home market. That way anyone with a DVD player and a stereo can do a little singing. It is basically one step up from the singing machine and the other little players. That's why they only have the same amount of songs on the DVD's that are on the CDG's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:22 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I will probably get a DVD player to have at my shows, but won't ever get into the market software wise. Like state, these are geared more for the home user. The added sonic benefits of DVD wouldn't be audibly noticeble in a loud bar! The only advantage (or disadvantage) is that they can store many songs on one disc but that is kind of putting all your eggs in one basket.!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I don't really support the dvd aspects of what is out CURRENTLY. I did get a dvd player, because I have many of the Pioneer DVDs, and I get the benefits of LASERs with the space requirements of the DVDs. The ol' cheesy vids!

Otherwise, I never would have bothered!

The storage aspects of DVDs are wonderful. But I wouldn't want to use them for playing songs on the fly!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:48 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

What ever happened to tubes made of hardened wax?
I would like to see a new variation of an old theme.
Take an upgraded version of the old vinal record, (analog signal), and put it under glass, (or whatever), to be read with a laser.

The whole world seems to have gone digitaly mad.
No true wave forms.
No matter how you slice it, all you can do digitaly is to make a representation of a wave by sampling one, gererating numbers that when placed on a graph, can generate a representation of a wave by playing connect the dots.

It seems to me that we have too many technological miracles for a society that can't even control fire!

Let's get some old Mitch Miller footage, and a couple of wireless megaphones, and have a party!

BTW...
A bouncing ball is FAR superior to words that change color.
You can see the ball coming down, telling you EXACTLY when to sing, and there's no need of the contrast associated with a color TV.
Black and white will do.