KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Struggling Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Struggling
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:29 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
We live in a small area and the few kj shows going on seem to have a loyal following. My sound system is great music selection is great the crowd isnt really forming.

Planning on running a 5 week Contest ending the 18thof Dec for some Christemas cash last moment. qualifying 2 people per week final will have 10 singers.

Any suggestions?? this is my last chance at this particular bar we have been there about 6-8 weeks and paying me 150 out of a 3-400 night they wont keep doing. Have advertised alot etc etc etc HOW DO I DRAW THE CROWD

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:34 pm 
Fas...
if you really want to do a comp.. right.. and i mean want to draw and want to be successful with out killing the cash cow, making a world of enemies, because you will make a few with a competition no doubt,
e-mail me i have a very successful plan that does not bias a single singer but creates exposure for the club.. the best part is.. people get to look at your show themselves and really judge for themselves how good you really are.. a competition may not be the solution.. it may be where the ads are going, it could be the venues, it could be any number of things.
before you stick a ton of cash into a comp.. look at the whole picture .. and if really a comp is what the ultimate decision really is.. JUST REMEMBER.. DO NOT BIAS THE SINGERS OUT! BE FAIR in the JUDGING!.
And Make Sure everybody Gets the Prizes as advertized! I can assist you in that i have a formulary that has been researched. that i can e-mail you. it's real simple. and it's free.. it helps keep things fair and keeps singers happy and comps on the level.

and there are several comps that i can send you that do a similar system to mine that did it before me. but not like me. this system is quite refined and very smooth running. if i had lets say 300 singers i could move them in around than 15 hours between my 5 KJ's and 6 support staff in a single room. but with a turnout like that i'd most likely have to break it up to 2 days over a weekend or multiple rooms on a single day.

that's when I used to do a big competition. those days are long gone.

Questions? E-mail me Personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Those days are long gone so just leave them alone. Theres no way in hell that a " COMP " is going to save your (@$%&#!). Just keep pluging away and stick to your guns. " COMPS " are the downfall of Karaoke along with pirates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:51 am 
metalgod,
I see you repeated my last line.. i hope he gets the point.
If he reads anything from my thread I hope it's the last line like you re-interated. I personally think it's where they are advertizing or how much they are spending on it, or what method they are using. A show does take time to build.. Not all new shows build 40-90 singer rotations in 10 weeks it's so very rare.
As a matter of fact, look at the calander.... The club is being un-realistic.
November-January the worst time for clubs with karaoke, Due to Holiday Parties. The singers are going to the private parties instead of the clubs.

If the club doesn't get it.. I hope he get's a second chance somewhere else... On his off time (RIGHT NOW) he should be trying to be booking holiday parties in his area..Or at least trying to line up other shows. (hope he got the hint)

I'm constantly booking Live, Karaoke, and other things. everyday..a it's real wonder when I sleep.. And decent Public Relations skills are a MUST.

Every bill has to be paid, and every mouth has gotta have food in it.

I don't like to see anyone fail, but I hope he succeeds! :wink:

Brian D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:47 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

metalgod wrote:
Those days are long gone so just leave them alone. Theres no way in hell that a " COMP " is going to save your ####. Just keep pluging away and stick to your guns. " COMPS " are the downfall of Karaoke along with pirates.

I think this statement is absolutely ludicrous. At EVERY and I do mean EVERY competition I have performed at, the business for the establishment has great increased the last one doubled and tripled their sales. The place was packed and you had to arrive at least two hours early just to get a table. I am sure that comps have been a downfall many times but to make a sweeping statement like that is ludicrous. Of course your allowed your opinion as ludicrous as it is but I have seen the contrary too many times.
Now I will say this lets get specific, an UNFAIR competition is the downfall.
What do I mean by unfair? Let me put it this way, a KJ worth his or her salt who wants to run a competiton will get off their @ss and do the work well ahead of time. They WILL work out a good deal with not only the establishment but other businesses to get the prizes they need in exchange for advertising. THEY WILL GO OUTSIDE OF THE AREA TO GET GOOD LEGITIMATE JUDGES WHO ACTUALLY KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT SINGING AND PERFORMANCE AND WHO DON'T KNOW ANYBODY IN THE AREA. These are the trademarks of a good competition and a good KJ. I myself am personally sick of losing to some no talent crooning off key person who happens to be a friend of the judges wife or some such. One comppetition that I was the judge at was a complete joke. I know what points I gave to each singer and I know what points the other judges gave to each singer. The KJ overruled us and declared someone else a winner that didn't even remotely score close to the other competition.
And while I am on the subject, karaoke isn't just about FUN. I am so sick of hearing that. We aren't being honest. True karaoke addicts and we are many, don't do it just for fun. We do it because 1. WE LOVE SINGING.
2. WE LOVE BEING IN THE SPOTLIGHT. 3. WE LOVE THE APPLAUSE. 4. WE LOVE GETTING OUR EGO STROKED ;). 5. MANY OF US HOPE TO BE DISCOVERED (A DREAM THAT PROBABLY WON'T HAPPEN BUT A DREAM THAT WE WON'T LET DIE) 6. WE BELIEVE WE HAVE A GIFT THAT WE WANT TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD
It isn't just about the FUN and anyone who says that isn't being honest with themself. The above was for singers as for KJ's if it is only about FUN, then do it for free. NOT A CHANCE YOU SAY. Then it isn't just about fun or their wouldn't be talk about Piracy and undercutting as much. IT IS ABOUT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR.
Just some things to think about before we continue to deceive ourselves and hold ourselves more highly than we ought.

Thats my 2 cents take it or leave it.

T.B.K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:06 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Kahuna, I take your point about 'fair' competitions but, as a KJ of long standing, I have to disagree about it being for the Almighty Dollar.
I could be making, and could have been for a long time, a great deal more money in the field in which I was educated, with no reinvestment of my own but, for the love of it, I chose to do this!

The money is simply to pay bills, eat and keep the equipment and discs up to scratch!

Lest we forget, Karaoke is not ALL about people who can sing. In my opinion it is more to do with people who would otherwise not get the chance!

I don't need Karaoke, I sing for a living and people are happy to book me to do just that. There are many Karaoke enthusiasts out there that will never get that opportunity 'cos they're simply not good enough but they CAN get up on Karaoke!

Long may it stay the same!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:14 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Point well taken Barry but I feel you are in the minority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:16 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

That would be a shame but it merits a discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:24 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

To get off topic just briefly Barry. That current pic of you reminds me alot of a dear friend of mine. You look exactly like him. He passed away 2 years ago. He had a stroke and heart attack. He was 38. I miss him much. He used to smile like that before He got so sick. Thank you for using it as avatar. It brings back some good memories.

T.B.K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:28 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Dunno what to say to that other than thankyou. I know what it's like to lose a good friend and anything that brings a bit of them back from time to time is very bitter-sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I'd agree that a succesful comp would bring in a larger than normal crowd maybe 2 or 3 times the norm....But contests end and you're right back where you started .. :cry: If the venue isn't advertising look at other variables to slow business.... Drink/Food prices, location, atmosphere , bar and waitress staff ... I've seen entire clientele at one bar change just when the barmaid quit and a new one hired....... If all looks great then ask yourself ..WHAT WOULD MAKE ME COME HERE FOR KARAOKE?
get back to the basics , If advertising you need a HOOK ...cheap drink prices? Food Specials ? Pool Tournaments? Dart leagues ? you need to get people in the place so they have a chance to experience YOU and your karaoke? GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:42 pm 
Kahuna.. You are right about the earlier..
A good fair comp is what is what makes it worth it worth it to all the singers while... in my part of the country.. It just doesn't happen.. At least not any more.. Therte are some real great singers, yeah, but none around will ever get discovered in New mexico singing comps in New Mexico.

My .02 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Ya know in my neck of the woods tthe term advertising might as well be speaking swahili. They have no clue what that is. And most establishments think just by saying You have Karaoke will draw the people in. We have ti find out about it somehow don't we lol so far its mostly word of mouth. One KJ throws a big party for his customers at his home out in the country.....so my wife and I went.....get this...He HAD NO KARAOKE! I was like look your karaoke customers that are here all are here because they like karaoke......give them what they want. he didn't listen. He let some crappy no name band play for 3 hours instead all the while his karaoke regulars are just getting p!ssed Seems he didn't care. His drunk non karaoke party buddies were more important....I havn't been back to his show since and many others havn't either. Hope He learned his lesson.

T.B.K