KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - My new system Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: My new system
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Yamaha MG10XU mixer
Yamaha DXR8 speakers.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I am really perplexed by the fact that despite Yamaha having power amplifiers Zzounds apparently doesn't carry them. If so I would be choosing the CBR10 speakers instead of the DXR8 speakers along with one of the power amplifiers that matches the speaker.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I am really perplexed by the fact that despite Yamaha having power amplifiers Zzounds apparently doesn't carry them. If so I would be choosing the CBR10 speakers instead of the DXR8 speakers along with one of the power amplifiers that matches the speaker.

Do you plan to use powered subs with the DXR8 speakers?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I started out all Behringer but after further thought and last night's show convinced me to go all Yamaha. Yeah it means that I am going back to active speakers and having to figure out how to power them when there is no outlets near where I want to set them up.

Danny, this is what you need...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS ... PDKIKX0DER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Why should I? I am not a club DJ and do not need the pounding bass. If you are trying to tell me that the DXR8 speakers don't produce the same Bass as the EV ZXA1 speakers that I used to use, then maybe I need to rethink my speaker choice. I have never needed subs in my entire time of running Karaoke. I don't play hip hop for the most part, it's been rare that anyone ever chooses an old school rap much less a modern hip hop song.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Why should I? I am not a club DJ and do not need the pounding bass.

That has nothing to do with it. I would go with the 12's. You will get a much fuller sound, better bass response, and they can cover a much larger area so you'll be able to use them at larger venues if you need to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

All the clubs in my area are about the same size so I doubt that I would need more and every 8" conventional speaker that I have used has always had enough Bass for my taste.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
every 8" conventional speaker that I have used has always had enough Bass for my taste.

I see.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I have decided that having the equipment be the same brand doesn't really matter to me so I am going to stay with a passive system like before getting the JBL Eon One. This is the system, once I get through putting it together.
HP Red Flyer laptop
Yamaha MG10XU mixer
QSC GX5 amplifier
EV ZX1-90 speakers
2 pairs of Sennheiser XSW 1-835 dual mic systems.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Why should I? I am not a club DJ and do not need the pounding bass. If you are trying to tell me that the DXR8 speakers don't produce the same Bass as the EV ZXA1 speakers that I used to use, then maybe I need to rethink my speaker choice. I have never needed subs in my entire time of running Karaoke. I don't play hip hop for the most part, it's been rare that anyone ever chooses an old school rap much less a modern hip hop song.
It's not about playing pounding bass or dedicating it to hip hop or club dj. A sub will take the stress off the smaller speakers trying to reproduce those frequencies allowing for a fuller sound and cleaner sound - no matter what genre music. You do not have to set the subs to 'pound' the bass just add a fuller and richer sound - and yes people do notice and appreciate it.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Having subs will defeat my ability to put it together all by myself. Tell what. The next show, I will take a picture of the bar from the front door to show the size of the venues that normally have Karaoke and you tell me if I really need subs or not. I am purchasing special stands for the speakers so I can put them on and take them off the stands all by myself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:21 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Okay I got rid of the passive speakers and replaced them with EV ZXA1 speakers and a ZXA1 sub. I also switched from the air stands to the hand crank due to cost.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Okay I got rid of the passive speakers and replaced them with EV ZXA1 speakers and a ZXA1 sub. I also switched from the air stands to the hand crank due to cost.

Danny, you need to step back and evaluate the situation. Lonnie is correct about using an 8" speaker with subs. So, I am going to give you some advice. If you are smart, you will take this advice....

If you're NOT going to use subs, I wouldn't use anything less than a pair of 12" speakers (Active or Passive).

If you ARE going to use subs, I would use a 10" tops with 12" subs. That is, one sub for each speaker (2 subs).

Listen to what I'm saying my friend. I tried helping you before with that JBL Eon crap but you didn't want to listen and now you found out the hard way. Or should I say, the "hearing" way.

So, put all other ideas out of your head and follow my lead. Thank you.

Here's my speaker recommendations for YOU....

For the tops, I would get 2 (10") Yamaha DXR-10 OR 2 Electro-Voice ELX200-10 and for the bottoms, 2 ElectroVoice ELX200-12SP subs. That would work very well for you and provide you with great sound in a nice lightweight package that you can definitely manage by yourself.

One more thing...

This is a business. A business that you chose to be part of. And like any business, there are expenses. It is your job to provide your customers with quality sound. It seems that from what I read, and the advice you've been given, you're not motivated to do that. It seems that you have chosen to make it about YOU.

Well my friend, that attitude needs to change. The goal should be to provide equally impressive sound to any size venue from the smallest to the largest. If you can't or aren't willing to do that, I would suggest getting out of the business and maybe applying for a job in the paint department at Home Depot. They're always looking for people in the paint department.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The only thing that is about me with this is will I be able to move and set everything up by myself, I would not be looking for other stuff for one reason or another if I weren't looking for a better sound, even though my sound has always drawn the better singers. I am also willing to try new technology. Do I end up liking it, for the most part yes but I ended up not liking the morph between a digital mixer and a supposedly analog feel of a mixer and after giving a line array system a chance, I found out that the story of the line array volume level not dropping off was a myth as far as I am concerned. The only positive thing that the experience of the line array system gave me was having access to a subwoofer. I liked the sound of it outside of the bar that I was trying to use it in. The little church fellowship hall it worked perfectly fine. I chose the system that I chose because it has a couple of components to it that I am totally familiar with, the mixer and the tops, but I am not going to mount them over subs because I don't think I can lift the tops onto the poles sticking out of the subs anyway and it is a deal breaker if I can't set my system up all by myself. I might as well quit the business but right now I can't afford to quit so I am making choices that gives me the sound quality and the freedom to do the set up all by myself. I am very picky on who touches or lifts my equipment and that person isn't always available to help me. So I really only have myself to rely on to get things done.
And apparently you have not been reading. I don't need anything bigger than what I have chosen to be getting. The rooms that I am going to be working in are not large or medium sized bars. There might be a VFW that I might fill in at that might need a second sub but for the places around here that want Karaoke, they are pretty much smaller sized bars and maybe a church hall that I occasionally do private functions at. But for the size of the halls your suggestions is total overkill.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
The only thing that is about me with this is will I be able to move and set everything up by myself, I would not be looking for other stuff for one reason or another if I weren't looking for a better sound, even though my sound has always drawn the better singers. I am also willing to try new technology. Do I end up liking it, for the most part yes but I ended up not liking the morph between a digital mixer and a supposedly analog feel of a mixer and after giving a line array system a chance, I found out that the story of the line array volume level not dropping off was a myth as far as I am concerned. The only positive thing that the experience of the line array system gave me was having access to a subwoofer. I liked the sound of it outside of the bar that I was trying to use it in. The little church fellowship hall it worked perfectly fine. I chose the system that I chose because it has a couple of components to it that I am totally familiar with, the mixer and the tops, but I am not going to mount them over subs because I don't think I can lift the tops onto the poles sticking out of the subs anyway and it is a deal breaker if I can't set my system up all by myself. I might as well quit the business but right now I can't afford to quit so I am making choices that gives me the sound quality and the freedom to do the set up all by myself. I am very picky on who touches or lifts my equipment and that person isn't always available to help me. So I really only have myself to rely on to get things done.
And apparently you have not been reading. I don't need anything bigger than what I have chosen to be getting. The rooms that I am going to be working in are not large or medium sized bars. There might be a VFW that I might fill in at that might need a second sub but for the places around here that want Karaoke, they are pretty much smaller sized bars and maybe a church hall that I occasionally do private functions at. But for the size of the halls your suggestions is total overkill.

Danny, I chose the setup I recommended for you because it's a great sounding system that's light weight. The EV ELX200 10 inch speakers are only 29 pounds. And the EV ELX200 12 inch subs are only 42 pounds. And all you would have to do is bring them in and put them on the floor. You can even use a dolly if that would make it easier. So, the only thing you'd be lifting on stands would weigh 29 pounds. And you'd be getting killer sound.

And I agree with you about the "myth" of the level not dropping off with line array systems because they do. With this, we agree. You've proven it and I've proven it. When I use my conventional system, I've had people in the back complain it's too loud. On the other hand, when I've used the line array speaker, people in the back complained they can't hear it and to turn it up. Now, as I've said a million times, there is no comparison between a conventional system and a line array system. But, with that said, the only line array system I've heard and would buy at this point in time would be the Turbosound IP3000. It is an amazing system and it's powerful. It's the only one I would put up to a conventional system.

Good luck with your decision my friend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The speakers that I chose are lighter by 10 lbs. Not a lot lighter and as I said as powerful as I need. I want to fill the room with sound, not drive everyone from the back of the room out the door due to being too loud, although I probably would know how much is too much with any system. I chose the speakers and the mixer, because one, I have worked with them before and I am familiar with them, no learning curve for I know exactly how everything works already. The only item I have never worked with is the sub but I am sure that a few tutorials off of you tube and I will be up to speed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Having subs will defeat my ability to put it together all by myself. Tell what. The next show, I will take a picture of the bar from the front door to show the size of the venues that normally have Karaoke and you tell me if I really need subs or not. I am purchasing special stands for the speakers so I can put them on and take them off the stands all by myself.

what is the max cap of this bar?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I personally don't know. I do know that two weeks ago, it was hard to move around because there was so much people in the bar. But I highly doubt that the max occupancy exceeds 100 people. Probably less. A bar that I used to do had an occupancy limit of 68. It's hard to judge because the two places are laid out differently. One is a square room where the other is long. Most of the bars where I am are like that. Probably the profit margin is sustainable for a Karaoke Host getting a Max of $100 a night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Well honestly if you currently put your speakers on tripods, then the footprint of the sub is not going to be any bigger, most subs have a pole stand built in to mount the top speakers on without the need of a separate tripod.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman wrote:
Well honestly if you currently put your speakers on tripods, then the footprint of the sub is not going to be any bigger, most subs have a pole stand built in to mount the top speakers on without the need of a separate tripod.

I can't lift my left arm to the level needed to put the speaker on that type of pole. Putting it on a tripod that has the means to mechanically lift the speaker into position is the only way I can make it work. Unless that pole only puts the top of the pole at the height of the tripod not extended which is not high enough for my liking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next