KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - millennials not finishing songs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:48 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
I never take it at face value anymore when a customer, especially a younger customer, looks in the book and says I don't have such-and-such. Even when it's a title I don't recognize, half the time it turns out to be in the book, they just do not understand how alphabetical order works. When did schools stop teaching that?!? And the concept of last name first just makes their heads spin. Customer, pointing at a page in my book: "You don't have any Neil Diamond!" Me, glancing down at the page he's on: "Try looking under 'D' for Diamond." Customer flips pages forwards and backwards for 5 minutes while I watch him from the corner of my eye, then says "Nope, you don't have any."

These are often the same people that give me grief for asking them to use the book and fill out a song slip in the first place. They'd rather "just tell me", because they can't be bothered. They come right out and say "I can't be bothered with that!"

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Elementary Penguin wrote:
These are often the same people that give me grief for asking them to use the book and fill out a song slip in the first place. They'd rather "just tell me", because they can't be bothered. They come right out and say "I can't be bothered with that!"
Then I would I would show them all the song slips that others gave me that night, and insist that that is how I do it.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
If they don't use the books, it's less work and expense for me. I don't need to buy so much paper and ink to make slips. I don't have to worry so much about updating, and reprinting the books. Some people use my books, most don't. Not a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
mrmarog wrote:
Then I would I would show them all the song slips that others gave me that night, and insist that that is how I do it.

i do something close...
i let them see my request list in SongbookDB and tell them i can add theirs once that screen is empty.
they usually wait and watch others put in at the kiosk and know they are further away from getting in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
If they don't use the books, it's less work and expense for me. I don't need to buy so much paper and ink to make slips. I don't have to worry so much about updating, and reprinting the books. Some people use my books, most don't. Not a problem.

The reason I still use and update my books is for those who don't have smartphones, otherwise they can use the app on their phone or tablet. I use to have a tablet before it got stolen from my apartment that I logged into in kiosk mode so I could walk around and get requests from singers didn't have any way to put the requests in from. I might get a new one to replace it since I pretty much have the freedom to do it myself and save the money for paying my assistant to man a laptop setup for that task.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I use to have a tablet before it got stolen from my apartment that I logged into in kiosk mode so I could walk around and get requests from singers didn't have any way to put the requests in from. I might get a new one to replace it since I pretty much have the freedom to do it myself and save the money for paying my assistant to man a laptop setup for that task.

ROI do the math :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I never take it at face value anymore when a customer, especially a younger customer, looks in the book and says I don't have such-and-such. Even when it's a title I don't recognize, half the time it turns out to be in the book, they just do not understand how alphabetical order works. When did schools stop teaching that?!? And the concept of last name first just makes their heads spin. Customer, pointing at a page in my book: "You don't have any Neil Diamond!" Me, glancing down at the page he's on: "Try looking under 'D' for Diamond." Customer flips pages forwards and backwards for 5 minutes while I watch him from the corner of my eye, then says "Nope, you don't have any."

If they tell me that they can't be bothered with either using their smartphones if they have one or going to my kiosk, I tell them that I guess that you don't want to to sing because I can't be bothered trying to look up and put their song request in just because they are too lazy to do such a simple thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Holy crap! I can't believe some of the attitudes here.. Many of my clientele hand in slips... some just ask me to kamikaze... and for even others I walk out to their table to find out what they want to sing. Some browse through the books, and others just ask me if I have a particular song when they get to the mic... And I don't mind a bit... They're the reason I get paid, and paid well, to do what I love to do.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Earl wrote:
Holy crap! I can't believe some of the attitudes here.. Many of my clientele hand in slips... some just ask me to kamikaze... and for even others I walk out to their table to find out what they want to sing. Some browse through the books, and others just ask me if I have a particular song when they get to the mic... And I don't mind a bit... They're the reason I get paid, and paid well, to do what I love to do.
I agree. Again i'll make the extra step to look up a song by a lyric too. Takes a couple extra seconds to type it into google normally.