KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - chartbusters hardrive Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: chartbusters hardrive
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
Just wondering if the 12000 song chartbuster hardrive worth anything in todays karaoke marketplace?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Isn't that basically an unlocked KJ MediaPro HD drive? Even though I see they have some for sale on Ebay, and the listings say they are legal, there is no way that can be legal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
TopherM wrote:
Isn't that basically an unlocked KJ MediaPro HD drive? Even though I see they have some for sale on Ebay, and the listings say they are legal, there is no way that can be legal.

Chartbuster was selling them willy-nilly in the last months before they went under. I know several who bought them.

I won't give an opinion as to whether they are legal, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to take the view that they are legal. They were sold by Chartbuster itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
If it has the certificate then it's legal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Being a frequent reader and fringe contributor to this particular forum, I believe I have a bead on the intent of the word "legal" as it is used in this context, but from time to time I make it a point to mention that, to the average walk by reader, the term "legal" is not being used in the traditional sense. Since there has been significant data presented that would indicate that additional licensing would be required to release tracks in an alternate form than the original media, and that available eye tests would indicate that this step was not completed, one could confidently conclude that this delivery system was not "legal", albeit they could be more accurately described as "authorized" by the manufacturer...

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
I'm in the dark, here. What is (or was) the KJ MediaPro HD? What is 'unlocked' and why was it locked to begin with? If it was sold by CB, how could it be illegal?

Thanks in advance for catching me up, and sorry for my ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:23 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
CafeBar wrote:
I'm in the dark, here. What is (or was) the KJ MediaPro HD? What is 'unlocked' and why was it locked to begin with? If it was sold by CB, how could it be illegal?

Thanks in advance for catching me up, and sorry for my ignorance.
They sold a hard drive (KJ Media Pro) that was 'locked' in which you purchased credits & could 'unlock' on a per song basis upon redeeming a credit - this pretty much became useless after they went under so anything locked will remain locked forever making the hard drive pretty much worthless. The hard drive itself was like $200 (or somewhere around there) that contained every song they had available (around 12,000), but couldn't use until you 'unlocked' the song with a credit. The unlocked version was several hundred dollars that you could use everything on it - 12,000 songs if I remember. What is in question pretty much is did they have the rights (acquired proper licensing) to produce many of the songs in the first place and if so, the further right to sell it in the formats they did. Their lawsuit loss with CAVS over not acquiring the rights to sell the SCDG's for them & their bankruptcy/shutdown coincidently coincide.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
dave wrote:
Just wondering if the 12000 song chartbuster hardrive worth anything in todays karaoke marketplace?

Worth is relative. It may not be worth anything at all to some where as there are others that would pay good money for it. Just depends on the buyer.

If you have one to sell, PM me. I already have two of my own, but might be interested in picking up another.

-Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks, Lonman. I'm guessing that in the modern world it would be harder to make something like that that wouldn't be hacked somehow. If someone unlocked it legally (buying all 12,000 a little at a time, say), would it be legal for resale? The media would be in the purchased form.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:52 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
CafeBar wrote:
Thanks, Lonman. I'm guessing that in the modern world it would be harder to make something like that that wouldn't be hacked somehow. If someone unlocked it legally (buying all 12,000 a little at a time, say), would it be legal for resale? The media would be in the purchased form.
There is no possible way anyone unlocked every song through credit purchases. It was only out about a year (or so) if I recall. Credits were bought individually or in higher lots which could bring the per track price down to around $1 each (again I don't remember exactly), so to unlock the entire drive completely would've ran around $12000 (or so) minimum. This drive was specifically created for kj's that didn't want to fork out the cash to have a bunch of songs but only the songs they needed - which would've been unlocked on the spot. It's still a great premise that I wish could be brought back.
So most likely the 12000 song drive is the higher $$ full song drive they were selling that did not need to be unlocked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
They brought back the KJMedia Pro with Digitrax for those that didn't want pay the monthly fee for the Cloud.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
At the end they were selling for $1,500 and I waited too long to do the deal. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
The KJ Media Pro has been revised and is now a part of CompuHost. You still buy credits but there is NO hard drive. Songs are stored on your laptop (or your own designated) external media, until you unlock them.

Thanks CH for bringing it back. Just another reason why you gotta love CH.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:31 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Alan B wrote:
The KJ Media Pro has been revised and is now a part of CompuHost. You still buy credits but there is NO hard drive. Songs are stored on your laptop (or your own designated) external media, until you unlock them.

So how do you buy the songs to begin with? What kind of media do you get?

I really like the idea of getting access to a lot of songs at once then unlocking them as needed. It would also eliminate duplicate purchases.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:03 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Alan B wrote:

I really like the idea of getting access to a lot of songs at once then unlocking them as needed without having to download them on the spot. It would also eliminate duplicate purchases.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
CafeBar wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I really like the idea of getting access to a lot of songs at once then unlocking them as needed without having to download them on the spot. It would also eliminate duplicate purchases.

http://www.kjmediaservices.com/kjmpdetails.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:36 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
I love the the My KJ Media idea http://www.mykjmedia.com/ but I have found in the latest incarnation a lot of DigiTrax songs are out sync. Totaly unaceptable! At my shows a run a second, older laptop, loaded with the old KJ Media Pro HD songs (I still have a few credits left) and web access to Tricerasoft. My last resort is to unlock a My KJ Media song, and if it's a DT song, I warn the singer to have a backup song.

CompuHost | KJ Media Pro | Karaoke Kiosk | Bose L1 Model II system | B2 bass | ToneMatch audio engine | Shure VHF SM58 wireless mics | Countryman E6 Earset with Shure UHF wireless beltpack