KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - TopherM, thanx for the heads up-also... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:53 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Can you tell me more about that set up you described. I'm in the midwest. Shipping difficult? Also, how would you suggest settin up regular gigs, when I haven't got the system together.

I've budgeted myself about 3 grand to get off the ground. I figure the more work I get, the easier it will be to upgrade (PC, put everything in files). Sound like a decent plan? I'm giving myself a year to get it together.

Thanks for getting back to me quickly. Really helpful. Cheers JM

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:08 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Yeah, you may need to know what you are going to have before you set up gigs, but I set up my first gig without having any equipment, so it is possible. I offered my "services" to a bar that was losing their KJ, even though I didn't actually have any services to offer. I basically BSed them, but it all worked out!!

Here's what I would do with your budget. Note that American Musical Supply will ship all of this to you free with no tax AND they will break up the price into 5 monthly installments for free, so you can pay it even easier, especially if you have a gig going and have some income. So, here's what I would do, with links:

MAINS:

I love my Yamaha S115Vs. 500 watts program per channel and the best bass in a 15" cab out there in my opinion. $326 each ($652)

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... 6_386.html

MIXER/AMP:

Yamaha EMX512SC Powered Mixer with Effects (500 watts/channel, onboard vocal effects) $569

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... 9_398.html

SONIC MAXIMIZER:
(This will boost the highs and lows of your overall mix and is a quick and easy way to immediately upgrade your sound:

BBE 362 ($99)

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... nd-27.html

So that's your main system for $1320 flat.

You'll then need all of the cables, mics, speaker stands, and a CDG player (you may already have some of this).

You can find all of these things on the same American Musical site EXCEPT the CDG player. To start off, you should be able to use any decent one-tray CDG player. You'll save alot of $$$ on the player by buying it off Ebay. I wouldn't trust anything under $80, but as long as you buy from a reputable seller with good feedback, you should be fine on the player. Remember that the mixing amp above will take the mic input and has built-in vocal effects, so you won't need these bells and whistles on your CDG player.

Here is a good deal on some good sounding inexpensive mics:

Samson R21 3-pack ($49)

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... nd-27.html

I started out with these mics and 2 of the three of them are still going strong after 2 years. Once you have some cash flow, I'd look into upgrading to a Shure S58 as your main mic for the singers, but for now these are very reliable and sound good for the $$$.

CABLES: You'll need the following cables:

(2) 25 foot speaker cables (1/4" cables) for the main speakers
(2) 25 foot XLR microphone cables for the two mics
(2) 3 foot 1/4" cables to hook up the sonic maximizer

If you buy these cables at your local guitar center/sam ash, etc., there are usually brands they carry that are only about $5 more than the standard cables, but they have a warranty where if they go bad you just take them back where you bought them and they hand you a new set. That extra investment will save you a ton of $$$ in the long run.

Spend the rest of your budget on CDGs. If you need some suggestions on some good core sets to buy, let me know!! Also, spend $50 on a book program like kjpro (kjpro.com) and making books will be simple for you.

So, that is a good start. You should let some other peeps make suggestions and go with whatever you think is best, but this is what I would do on your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:29 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
You didn't mention that you can pawn the wife and kid and eat nuthin but taters n beans for a year while you buy music. LMAO

Seriously, don't forget to visit the local pawn shops for music gear....Stay away from obsolete stuff with rack rash, but be ready to snatch up late model gear if it is offered at less than half retail AND only if you need it....Music types seem to kinda live on the economic edge, so watch for when they liquidate cheap and fast.

As a rule of thumb, most music electronics sale for 1/2 retail if in perfect condition....Cabs can go as high as 3/4th new price....So don't neglect the used equipment market.......Be very, very cautious on eBay...My rule there is never pay more than you can afford to throw away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:12 pm 
Lots of music stores have used equipment.  I bought an entire system discs and all.   $5,000    The store owner called me first.   I knew the couple that originally bought it.   They spilt up.    It was taylored after my original system.  So I changed a few things around.    Spent $1-2000 on it, and sold it for $15,000.   Oh  yeah.... :dancin: